Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange browsing failure I've never seen before

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rob reynolds

rob reynolds

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:18 AM

I have a really weird problem.  First, some basic background:  I have three websites that I maintain.  My web hosting company is Site 5.  I use Wordpress.  My main browser is Chrome.  Until a few months ago everything worked as expected.  I could log in as the admin, work on my websites, and also view all of them normally using the browser on my computer.  

A couple of months ago Chrome told me that it could not find my website.  It said "your website's server DNS address could not be found.   Naturally the next thing I did was to look for it using the other two browsers on my computer.  (This is a ten year old computer with a fair amount of old software on it.)  Internet Explorer and Sea Monkey both told me the same thing.  

Here is where it gets interesting.  I am using a Qwest 3347 DSL modem (yeah, I know it's obsolete as well.)  My wife has a laptop running Windows 7 , which has its internet connection to the Qwest modem via wifi.  My two sons have computers in their rooms, plugged into an old router.  This router is plugged into the Qwest via a long cable.  When my computer stops seeing my websites, my wife's computer also can't see them.  But my sons' computers can always see them.  On the extra router the line in and the two lines out are all plugged into the line out ports, rather than having one line in and two lines out, which would give it its own address.

I have three websites, one of which I modify more frequently than the others.  It is the one that I usually can't see from my computer.  The other two disappear sometimes, but if I haven't looked at them for a while I can generally predict that they will be there if I look.  At all times I can go to an anonymous proxy website and view the website, and I can even log in as the admin.  The guys at Site 5 told me to clear my cache, etc.  You know the drill.  The website has been live the whole time, so they knew it was a problem on my end.  They're great, but the couldn't help in this case.   In fact, they're the ones who told me to use the anonymous proxy.

So, the question is what is going on?  I assume it's not a browser problem, because all of my browsers fail to make the connection, as does my wife's computer with its later operating system and chrome updates.  Is this a modem issue?  It seems like it is because that's the common connection between the two computers.  But my sons get these websites on their computers, and their signal comes through the same modem.  The only difference is that there's a router in between.  It has occurred to me that I may be able to fix the problem by inserting an extra router between my computer and the modem.  But I'm really curious to know if anybody here can figure out why this problem happens in the first place.

Thanks

Rob

Edited by rob reynolds, 24 August 2016 - 11:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rob reynolds

rob reynolds
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

Here's a small update for those who are interested.  I put my spare identical Qwest modem between the main modem and my computer, and it still didn't show my website.  I ended up returning everything to normal, and in the process I turned off the modem for about a minute.  When it came back online it displayed my website and its admin page.  I have power-cycled my modem before and had the problem go away temporarily.  

How would my modem be causing this problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users