Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Laptop Can't Acquire Ethernet Signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DSquared II

DSquared II

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:54 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms]I plugged the ethernet cable that works perfectly with my desktop pc into my HP Pavilion ZD7000 laptop.It doesn't acquire the signal. I then plugged in a Linksys wireless pc card that was receiving a wireless signal from a Linksys router that from which my son's desktop pc receives a signal wirelessly with no problems. I get the sentence that it does not recognize the access point. Third thing I tried was installing a mini pci card. But, not being able to get on the internet, I could not download the drivers for it, so it would not work. Can anybody assist me with correcting this problem. I am kind of a novice, so, please speak in layman's terms with your instructions. I can build a pc. I can install hardware with no problems. But, I'm not to keen with software issues. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It would be helpful to know what Operating System you are using - 98, XP Home, etc.

And - has this laptop ever worked right? Did it used to get online ok and now it doesn't? Or is this a new laptop? Or have you just reformatted and restored the computer?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 DSquared II

DSquared II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

[font=Comic Sans Ms]I'm using XP. This laptop worked a ok when I was using dial-up. But, since cable became available, I switched to it. Also, I was only using my desktop pc for the last year. I purchased the laptop and used it for about 6-8 months and then stored it. But, everything was working okay the last time I used it.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:11 PM

When you first had your desktop connected via broadband, did you need to install a program/software from your internet provider?

If so, it is likely that at that point it also assigned TCP/IP Properties (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS server etc). Often providers will ask if you intend to use more than one computer on the same cable connection, because they will require setting both up.

First thing I would do is speak to your Internet provider and get them to step you through setting up your laptop.

Additionally, there is no reason why you can't download the driver for you laptop on you desktop (which can access the internet) and then transfer it to the laptop by disk/CD/DVD/thumb drive etc.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 DSquared II

DSquared II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

We didn't have or install any software. I called them, since this is a rinky dink town, you get to know people right away. They now know me and I them. But, I didn't need to install a thing.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:40 AM

Well... since you have tried a number of ways to connect... I'm actually going to have to guess that it's the security of the router, the mini pc card you bought, should have come with a cd with drivers. If the labtop is not working, and you know it's not a security problem, then it can only be a few things. One, your not being close enough to the wirless router, two, your NIC card needs updated drivers (this would be associated with your ethernet port, LAN to be specific, but that has to do with a direct connection). or three, you need to set up the new connection under the network options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users