Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows can't find CD/DVD drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hello all, 

Today I noticed an issue while trying to make a CD to listen to on an upcoming car trip.

When I tried to burn my tracks to the disk inside my CD drive, the "Burn to Disk" option was grayed out and I could not click on it: http://prntscr.com/c9us5o

I tried next to burn the disk through ITunes, which also gave similar results.

I looked up solutions on Toms Hardware, Bleeping Computer, etc. but they were to no avail, as most told me to install the driver, which I cannot do, as I do not know the make/model of the drive. Speccy just says "No optical disk drives detected", and I really don't want to take out the drive to read off the serial number because it's a pain in the a** to put back in without taking out the motherboard. 

That's all (I think) I have to say about it, but I will provide information as it is asked.

Thanks

-Cooper

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Is this a CD-RW or just a CD-R?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

CD-RW

Is this a CD-RW or just a CD-R?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

To uninstall the CD drivers go into 'Control panel - system - Device manager', expand the entry for DVD/CD drives and double click on the device which isn't working. If you only have one then the choice is easy. This will bring up the properties box. Click the 'Drivers' tab and select uninstall. Accept the warning, let it uninsstall then re-boot. The drrivers will re-install on re-boot.

If this doesn't fix the problem you may have a dirty lens, you can buy CD drive cleaners, you just run them like a CD. There is always the possibility that the device has died in which case the only cure is replacement.  If you need to replace the drive have a look at Youtube - search for 'Computer make and model, replace CD' this will almost certainly find you a relevant video.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:13 PM

Chris,

We meet again :)

I have the problem that my computer just doesn't think the CD-RW drive exists

Here's a screencap of device manager:

http://prntscr.com/caiy4f

- Cooper

#6 helpmecomputer

helpmecomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

Oh... well...

I just fixed the problem.

Just had to reinstall the ATA controller drivers and then I could see the CD-RW drive. Smooth sailing from there.

Thanks all for the help anyways

-Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users