Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck on Toshiba start screen after installing Windows 10 accessibilty

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Purplefleece

Purplefleece

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Toshiba L855-149 was running Windows 8.1 fine. Did the Windows 10 accessibilty upgrade and when it restarted it got stuck in Toshiba Leading Innovation start screen.

I cannot access F2, F12 or any of the F keys even though I do this immediately after starting. I can hear it finds the Windows 7 dvd I just tried but no visible acting on it. I can hear accessibility talk about Windows 10 but nothing progresses.

I have taken out the battery and a/c, help the power button for 30 secs, replaced all. No joy.

What is the problem? I have a laptop and no way of accessing it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Do you have W8.1 or W10 recovery media?

Can you boot to Startup/Automatic repair?

If so, what have you tried there?

Start with these free bootable hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Purplefleece

Purplefleece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for responding. I have no access to any part of the laptop at present. I have a Windows 7 dvd and a usb stick with Windows 10 installation. It is finding neither.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:06 AM

Does pressing the Escape or Delete key do anything when you start up? Try this after completly powering down first.

Are you able to attach the laptop to a monitor to see if it is seen there?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Turn it off

Press and hold the 0 (number 0) key

Press that start button.

Does it get into the recovery mode?

After that, try taking out the hard drive (if you don't know how to do it, ask for the cautions first).

Remove all power (battery and power cord) before starting - and use anti-static precautions when touching the inside of the case.

Then try booting from the DVD or USB stick

Edited by usasma, 27 August 2016 - 07:35 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nycgavin

nycgavin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have the same issue, it would get stuck at the splash screen.   on my laptop model, if you press and hold F12 when the computer starts, you are able to enter either the BIO or the windows 10 boot mode (Try F2 if F12 doesn't work).  After entering boot mode, I tried to choose the option that repair window with keeping the file, it would fail.  The other option is to reset the computer (format).  I didn't want to lose my files so I rebooted it once more, this time choosing the Command Prompt option in the boot menu.  I connected a USB drive into the computer, to my surprise, it was able to detect the usb drive.  So I use xcopy from the command prompt to back up all my files into the usb.   Then I tried to reset the computer (remove all existing file), but it got stuck at 2% indefinitily.  I restarted window 1 more time and boot into boot mode, I have a windows 10 DVD that I burned months ago when microsoft offers the OS for free, do a search in google, you might be able to find the image in microsoft website still, there's an option in boot mode that allow you to boot from optical drive, which is what I have chosen, and it restarted 1 more time booting from the DVD, this time I choose setup windows 10 from dvd, and it asks for the product key which I don't have, because i'm doing an upgrade from windows 8.1, I pressed the skip button and followed the on screen instruction to install windows 10.  For some reasons, it finally loads windows 10 and it was activated as well without me entering the product key.  So I hope this will help anyone who encounter the same issue.  I spent hours on this to get this to work, good luck.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Thank you for your post. I just want to add some information that may help in the future. On all computers with Windows 8 or 8.1 pre-installed the key is embedded in firmware and the install will auto-activate once online. Once Windows 10 is activated your hardware ID is on Microsoft servers and Windows 10 can be reinstalled without entering a key.

If you ever decide to return to Windows 8.1 you can use this Media Creation Tool

If you want the latest version of Windows 10 you can use the Media Creation Tool for 10

Edit: Your Windows 7 DVD probably didn't boot because computers pre-installed with Windows 8 has SecureBoot enabled by default and Windows 7 cannot boot if it's enabled in your UEFI settings.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2017 - 10:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users