Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old hard drive w/ windows, new ssd in tower, how to manage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:07 AM

HI,

Thank you for looking at this.

Building a computer as old one died.

I am putting the old hard (tradtional type) drive in my new tower. Has windows 7 and other files.

I am also putting in a new SSD for increased speed.

Not sure what to do from here.

I would like the computer to boot off the SSD for quicker starts, and file managment.

But with the OS being on the old traditional drive, not sure how to do that. Do I need to move the OS to the SSD?

I am not sure how to make the old drive the slave, and the SSD the master either.

How do I get all of this started?  I do realize I have to contact microsoft about using the Win7 operating system on the new computer...

SSD

OCZ TRION 150 2.5" 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) TRN150-25SAT3-240G

Motherboard

ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thank you so much!

Matt

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2016 - 09:51 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

If you're building a new machine, you cannot transfer windows to it. It is bound to the motherboard. I would buy a new copy of windows, format the ssd, and keep your old files on the hard drive. Install programs to the ssd.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

If you're building a new machine, you cannot transfer windows to it. It is bound to the motherboard. I would buy a new copy of windows, format the ssd, and keep your old files on the hard drive. Install programs to the ssd.

You probably can transfer Windows 7 to machine with different motherboard. You also probably need not to contact Microsoft. It's even legal in some countries but that's another story.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 24 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

You cannot "legally" transfer a Windows license in the U.S. for one system/one motherboard...to a different motherboard...unless its a retail license applying to a self-install where the system is now kaput.  In any country...the terms of sale dictated by Microsoft...will be the issue.  Activation is determined by MS, not by anyone else.

Worth A Look

It should also be noted that the drivers/settings for a different system...will probably present some problems to anyone attempting to simply move a hard drive with Windows to a different system.

Louis

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

You cannot "legally" transfer a Windows license in the U.S. for one system/one motherboard...to a different motherboard...unless its a retail license applying to a self-install where the system is now kaput.  In any country...the terms of sale dictated by Microsoft...will be the issue.  Activation is determined by MS, not by anyone else.

That's why I said it's legal in some countries.

Legal issues another thing but I have never had any major problems with Windows 7 activation when having valid product key.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:15 PM

That's why I said it's legal in some countries.Legal issues another thing but I have never had any major problems with Windows 7 activation when having valid product key.

Did you read the post? That mean in no country is it legal, it is against Microsoft's EULA, not any countries anti-piracy laws.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

Did you read the post? That mean in no country is it legal, it is against Microsoft's EULA, not any countries anti-piracy laws.

In many countries laws can override EULA. Also Microsoft's EULA is not law in many countries. EULA can say anything but if law disagrees with EULA, then those parts of EULA can be ignored.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:16 PM

Frankly...we are not here to discuss law, national or international.  I suggest we return to dealing with the stated topic.  Comments regarding such would probably be of greater benefit to the person who started this topic.

Louis

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:33 PM

Thank you for looking at this.
Building a computer as old one died.
I am putting the old hard (tradtional type) drive in my new tower. Has windows 7 and other files.
I am also putting in a new SSD for increased speed.

Not sure what to do from here.
I would like the computer to boot off the SSD for quicker starts, and file managment.
But with the OS being on the old traditional drive, not sure how to do that. Do I need to move the OS to the SSD?
I am not sure how to make the old drive the slave, and the SSD the master either.

How do I get all of this started?  I do realize I have to contact microsoft about using the Win7 operating system on the new computer...

You can either clone Windows to SSD from HDD or reinstall Windows from Windows 7 installation disc. So either use some cloning software of preferably reinstall Windows. Getting that may prove some problem as MS no longer offers Windows 7 ISO's easily (unless you have retail version product key). There are many sites that offer (at least they SAY they offer) Windows 7 ISO's for download but those are not 100% reliable. All 64-bit Windows 7 ISO's contains all Windows 7 editions.

There are no slaves or masters on SATA drives.

For Windows in new machine and activation see above discussion :)

#10 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Thank you for your answers

I understand the following...

MS knows peoples computers do die,..or whatever over time... I have read the accept a transfer of the OS from the broken computer, to a new computer.. One liscencse for one computer is amintained

I do have an OS Win&disc with  lic #number that I put on the old computer about a year or so ago

From:  http://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/

"Always Allowed: Replacing a Motherboard Because It’s Broken

You can upgrade a lot of hardware components without Windows freaking out, including the graphics card, RAM, and hard drive. But Windows doesn’t normally allow you to replace your computer’s motherboard. When your computer gets a new motherboard, Windows considers that an entirely new computer and will deactivate itself.

While Windows won’t normally allow you to upgrade your computer’s motherboard, there’s one exception, as far as we know: If your motherboard fails and needs to be replaced, you can move your Windows installation to the “new computer” with the new motherboard.

This exemption should be available no matter which type of license you’re using. It ensures you don’t have to buy a new Windows license for a PC if its motherboard breaks. However, to take advantage of this exemption, you’ll have to contact Microsoft via the phone activation process. You may have to talk to a representative and explain what you’re doing, or the automated system may just work."

And  from http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2064097/transfer-hard-drive-build.html

"A few things up front:
1) Windows OEM (which is what most builders use) is not legally transferrable to a new box as it is tied to your old computer. That said, MS is extremely liberal about what is considered a new computer vs what is considered upgrading an old computer for home builders, so at the end of the day, so long as you only have one computer with your liscence of windows on it, it should be a simple call to MS to validate your 'new' build."

I guess I will find out....

Edited by mrmatt2, 25 August 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#11 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

I just called Microsoft, (call went to India, of courese), basically they said there is no problem to transfer OS from old/broken computer to new computer

I was told just to load it on the new computer, and if any issues they will re-register the product key if necessary.

I have Win 7 Home Premium

Their free upgrade to Win 10 ended in on July 29

I was told they would still give me the free upgrade, just to give them a call.

My wait time before talking to anyone was about 5 seconds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users