Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem in registry - CurrentControlSet/System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DaRune

DaRune

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:41 AM

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services\07171AC2-OD2A-427d-BCE5-B6C2D6C7058B there are dozens of gibberish entries, each adding a character to the previous entry. This causes hangs with 100% processor load and slow running of intensive applications. I am unsure of how to correct this.

Should I post a HiJackThis log?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

If I were concerned about...I would try resetting the registry before I presumed to do something else.

Worth A Look, IMO

Hijack This logs are outdated...and malware logs are not allowed to be posted in this forum (which is for XP O/S issues).  If you think that you have a malware situation, you probably ought to have this topic moved to the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#3 DaRune

DaRune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

Tried reset, no joy. I'm beginning to think I will have to bite the bullet and reinstall Windows or try to upgrade to 7.

I just hate to lose all my programs...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hence...the value of routinely backing up.  It has historically been suggested for good reasons.

You could always try a repair install of XP, if you have the install disk.

Louis

#5 DaRune

DaRune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:37 PM

Tried that but it keeps asking for a floppy in A: drive (of which I have neither). I was hoping I could post the offending section of the registry and get advice on how to edit it.

Maybe I could still run backups? Or would that bring the registry error with it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

I have no way of knowing when a registry problem developed...or if such can be overturned by restoring a backup.

You won't know until you try it, IMO.

I've done many an XP repair install...and I recall no point at which it should request a floppy for any purpose.

Louis

#7 DaRune

DaRune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:57 PM

Yeah, that surprised me too. It even said to remove the disc from A: when exiting. It was a home-burned copy that came with a used computer. However I have found it was the wrong disc for the computer with the problem and I did do a restore with the proper disc.

Problem is I still have the same issue after all of that.

Guess I will have to do a full format and new install...

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Can't you get your hands on an XP CD of the same type as yours? I have seen them available for download as ISO files. XP is almost at the point of being considered as Abandonware. Then you can do a repair reinstall from the CD using your key#. I have done this dozens of times for XP units that come over my bench. With a repair reinstall you do not lose any of your data or programs.

[EDIT]: on 2nd thought, I am not sure if this will work with an OEM, however. At least its worth a shot.

keeps asking for a floppy in A: drive (of which I have neither

Go into the BIOS as set CD=1st boot device, HDD as 2nd boot device. In these older machines, it is usually set to boot from the floppy disk first. Of course, those do not exist any more. If you have problems doing this, try disabling the floppy in the BIOS. Sometimes I have to play around with it before I can get the CD to boot first.

Edited by ranchhand_, 03 September 2016 - 07:24 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users