Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Object

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:34 AM

hello,

anyone knows where or how to configure start-up applications? i want to choose what start-up objects should run upon boot-up.

tnx,
semp

Edited by sempai, 17 August 2006 - 09:36 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

Member of UNITE (Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hey there sempai,

Although there are many ways in which you can disable startup items, my personal preference is to use the windows utility called msconfig. I'm sure other people have different favourites, but I find this method hassle-free and relatively simple. You might like to limit the programs that are loading when your computer starts, you might have unneccessary software loading whn you boot your computer which is eating away at your CPU and ultimatley slowing down your computer. Many programs install a quick launch feature which is not needed; if you want to use the program you can start it up manually. The easiest way to see whether a program is needed at startup, you can use bleeping computer's own list, which gives an indication of whether the program is required/optional etc. Note that essential processes such as those for your anti-virus or your modem must be kept.
So, firstly click on start, then run and type msconfig. Then hit enter.
Click on the startup tab and a list of programs will appear.
You can compare the startup name with those on the startup list., link is below:
www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups

To stop a program loading at boot just remove the tick.
Click "Ok", and choose to restart.

David

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

You can use Startup Control Panel, or if you use Spybot S&D, you can use it's startup manager.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

ok guys tnx for the fast reply.... start-up objects really slows down my computer, now i know how to manage them... thanks to you both.

sempai

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif
You can help me continue the fight against malware by making a donation, Thank you.

If I am helping you and I didn't reply within 48 hours... Please send me a private message.
Topics that are not replied within 5 days will be close. Please don't PM asking for support, post on the Forums instead.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

Note that you can use BC's Startup Database to learn more about whether each item is necessary, unnecessary, or optional. I myself perfer to use Spybot's utility, since it keeps track of what you delete from startup and provides more information than the Windows utility.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:53 AM

tnx for the info... i also tried spybots utility and i found an ALCMTR.exe as one of my start up program and mark as red? when i check the help botton, red means malicious program.... any idea what it is?

Edited by sempai, 18 August 2006 - 09:19 AM.

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:23 AM

Description:
alcmtr.exe is a process installed alongside Realtek AC97 audio hardware and provides a monitoring service. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
Should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/alcmtr/

Our BC database says:
Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Spyware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ALCMTR.EXE-240.html

But it is part of your audio adapter, Realtek AC97 Audio and interfering with it may affect your audio device.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 August 2006 - 09:27 AM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers

ALCMTR.EXE
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

thanks for the fast reply... so i do not need to do anything about it, am i right?

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:13 AM

I didn't and I have the same audio adapter on my system.
I have left it alone.
I don't know what it reports to Realtek but truthfully I don't really care.

#11 sempai

sempai

noypi

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,288 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

ok thanks a lot...... :thumbsup:

~Semp

btn_donate_LG.gif

#12 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users