Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Let's see if we can help the disabled guy with the keyboard problem!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 The_Atheistic_One

The_Atheistic_One

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

Hello everyone,

First, my name is Richard, I'm a middle-aged IT guy and I've got a problem. I guess I feel the need to announce the IT part because I have degree in an IT field and I know my way around the computer. I just haven't been able to figure this one out on my own so I'm asking for help. Also, to explain the disabled part, I was in a motor vehicle accident little over 2 1/2 years ago and I became a quadriplegic as result of it. I've got one bum arm that I can slightly move and one good one with about normal range. I just can't hold up over my head. Also I cannot move my fingers. So I use several things to help me. One is a cuff that I wrap around my hand. It has a little pocket that I put a capacitive stylus. To aid in long passages of text like now and to help with overall use of the computer I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and a headset. Now that that's all the way out of the way.

As soon as I was able to get back to my laptop and I started poking around with all the accessibility settings find sticky keys to be particularly useful. It helps me capitalize letters and commands. Because of all this items able to play some PC games, albeit slowly, but surely! So I got myself a copy of No Man's Sky. Everything was going great until I realized it required me to hold down certain keys on the keyboard and it turns out sticky keys does not work in game. To make matters worse I have to hold down certain keys to do certain things.

Can anyone think of a way that I can designate certain keys to click and hold? So that I can regain both the sticky keys function and extend that to various keyboard keys.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Richard

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 August 2016 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

You probably need a separate keyboard, design for the disabled.

Google Search : keyboards for the disabled 

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=keyboards%20for%20the%20disabled

Edited by CyberSec_ET, 25 August 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

Another option would be a keyboard like the Logitech G510.  The 18 keys on the left side can be configured to anything you want and there are three different saves that you can quickly swap between.  That's how I play World of WarCraft, rather than jumping all of the keyboard I set up the programmable keys for everything I want.  Unfortunately Logitech no longer produces keyboards with 18 programmable keys, most have six or less. I have a stock pile of G510s in case a liquid spill occurs.

I use one for work an program the keys with copy and paste, and to easily type information such as tomorrow's day and date.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 11:15 PM

Logitech is one of the best, more durable than any other.  The programmable keys can be simple or complex chains, up to four keys at once(if your BIOS supports that many).  They can handle log on sequences too.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

Another option would be a keyboard like the Logitech G510.  The 18 keys on the left side can be configured to anything you want and there are three different saves that you can quickly swap between.  That's how I play World of WarCraft, rather than jumping all of the keyboard I set up the programmable keys for everything I want.  Unfortunately Logitech no longer produces keyboards with 18 programmable keys, most have six or less. I have a stock pile of G510s in case a liquid spill occurs.

I use one for work an program the keys with copy and paste, and to easily type information such as tomorrow's day and date.

It does look like you can still get a Logitech G510 from some sellers on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G510s-Gaming-Keyboard-Screen/dp/B00BCEK2LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472689268&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+g510

The other option might be a programmable "gameboard" (seems to have similar programability to the G510...assuming that programability will do what the original posters needs....and it is cheaper than getting a G510):

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G13-Programmable-Gameboard-Display/dp/B001NEK2GE/ref=pd_sim_147_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MEK3N5M9KKV1CV1WTHXF
http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:47 AM

The other option that I just thought of would be a foot pedal system. You should be able to either map or program the keys that you want to hold down to the various pedals.

Here are some that I found on Amazon...have no idea if they will do what is needed, but I would say there is a good chance:

https://www.amazon.com/Fragpedal-Quad-PC-Gaming-Footpedal/dp/B005GVWTS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472708277&sr=8-1&keywords=gaming+foot+pedals
https://www.amazon.com/Stinky-Gaming-Footboard-Foot-Controller/dp/B00EOPT5ZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472708277&sr=8-2&keywords=gaming+foot+pedals
https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Multimedia-Pedal-Switches-Control/dp/B0189H4TI4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1472708277&sr=8-6&keywords=gaming+foot+pedals

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

Back in the mainframe days, and still today, mainframe terminals had up to 24 programmable keys that could hold up to 24 key strokes each.  Users had the first 12 designated by the program and the other 12 defined by the user.  Really handy for the logon sequences for multiple operations.  The keyboards were also very heavy, originally  metal cased and spill proof. 

Edited by mjd420nova, 01 September 2016 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users