Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezes Randomly A Few Times Per Hour

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hello all,

I've been having some issues with Windows 7 lately and have scoured as many relevant forum threads Google can muster up -- but to no avail. The problem seems somewhat common among users, but each potential solution seems to go off in a completely different direction than the next so here I am making my own customized post and seeking your expert advice.

The problem is this: randomly, when running any application (even just Event Viewer or the file browser, but also when using Chrome, Skype, Adobe products, etc.), my computer will freeze for anywhere between 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes. I usually notice my system is going to lock up when internet tabs stop loading -- I see the loading wheel in the Chrome tabs and I know the program is about to hang. Shortly after one application begins to freeze, most of the other applications I click on/mess with freeze too. Interestingly, for programs that are recording or outputting sound (Skype calls, YouTube videos, iTunes) will continue to play/record sound so long as I don't touch them. Once a minute or two has gone by, the entire system frees up again and all the applications continue as normal -- all at the same time.

Custom Computer Build Specs (PCPartPicker list here)

• AMD FX 8350 8-Core 4.00 GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X GPU
  • Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (applied Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G thermal paste)
  • Transcend 256GB 2.5" SSD
  • WD Blue 2TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5"
  • 2, 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM (it should be noted that I had a difficult time installing one of the RAM sticks during assembly. Seemed like one of the bays was a tiny bit smaller than the stick so I had to be more forceful than I'd hoped/liked. Nothing snapped/broke to the best of my knowledge...)
  • Asus 24x DVD-RW SATA Internal OEM Optical Drive
  • Corsair CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP-1 (Activated)
  • Wore an anti-static wrist band apparatus during entire build time

Troubleshooting steps already taken

• Boot the system with many things disabled (from msconfig) -- proof!
  • System File Checker -- nothing to report
  • Downgrading from Windows 10 (when it was a free upgrade. Sucks for me now...)
  • Reinstalling the Windows 7 OS
  • Check Disk -- took literally 24 hours to complete and it found a few corrupted or missing things (not sure of the jargon here...) but offered to fix them so I accepted. They were raw image files (.NTF) I had imported from my Nikon D3200 DSLR camera.
  • "Smart Scan" with Avast Antivirus (free) -- results here; not sure what to think but not thinking too deeply about this
  • Updating drivers -- I've updated all my drivers that programs like AVG and Avast have told me are out of date, but none of by devices that connect with USB 3.0 work in any of the ports on my motherboard. I've installed the Eltron USB3.0 Host Controller driver from Gigabyte's website, and I (hope) this is a separate issue I can solve later.
  • Keeping Event Viewer and Task Manager open at all times to observe behavior during freezes -- I've looked through all (yes, all) of the logs under Applications and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows and the only section that had anything that matched the timestamp of the latest freeze was the "CAPI2" Operational log. Lot's of "Information" level entries and one or two "Error" entries. When applicable, I've copied the URLs in the "Details" tab of the "Error"-level entries, downloaded the file, right-clicked, and chosen "Install CRL". I've always restarted my computer after installing any CRL files. Nothing's fishy in Task Manager during these freezes either. About 80-88% from System Idle Process, 13% from svchost.exe, and maybe 8-12% from Chrome during the most recent freeze.

I'm guessing you'll want to see those CAPI2 entries, so just let me know of the best way to dump that information!

Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated. I will gladly run any necessary tests thrown at me and will report back results (just make sure I know how to report/dump the results).

Much obliged,

Alex the Computer Novice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:02 AM

Wait until i freezes again, then recover from the freeze and immediately generate these 2 reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:

To make it work you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Wile waiting for a reply:

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html
5.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html
5.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

1. I've let the Windows update checking service run all night and it never finds any updates... The freezes have been happening through all of my OS changes: the first time I installed Windows 7 from the disc, when I did the free upgrade from Win7 to Win10, when I downgraded back to Win7, and even after re-installing Windows 7. This screams "HARDWARE ISSUE!" to my novice computer brain. Please tell me I'm wrong ;) .

2. Did that after the latest install of Windows 7.

3. Did that after the latest install of Windows 7.

4. Added to the to-do list!

5. Added to the to-do list!

When I get home from work I'll do everything in my power (ie. siting and browsing Chrome seems to be best at causing them) to get another freeze to occur once I've downloaded and installed all the logging programs.

Here are the SpeedFan results:

cdde45bed61da1e04e8638bf25ff6c18.png

GPU fan speed and other info from OC GURU II, if it's relevant at all:

f00295e895ce37763d1206141702eed5.png

I'll be sure to get those Driver Verifier results, free hardware diagnostic results, and the 2 report sets (outlined in red in your post) to you when I get back to my desk at home.

#4 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

Alright I ran some diagnostic tests and saved some Event Viewer log files. However, I read through your Driver Verifier instructions and I definitely don't trust myself to be able to deal with a computer that won't boot up into Safe Mode or anything like that... :P .

BSOD Report Collecting Tool results attached (in progress).

Administrative Events logs attached.

CAPI2 Event Viewer logs sent to you via PM just in case those contain sensitive information  :unsure:. If they don't contain any sensitive info, let me know and I'll attach them to this post for the rest of the community to see.

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

While I tend to agree with the assessment that this is a hardware problem, you should know that it's not as simple as that.

Software can mimic hardware problems, and hardware can mimic software problems.

Also, compatibility issues and low-level driver problems can seem to be hardware problems.

The Driver Verifier instructions are meant to be intimidating.

If unsure, then don't do it. 

But, FYI, as long as you have access to a computer (and you follow all of the steps that are outlined), you should be able to rescue yourself from any problems.

And even if you can't recover, you can always access us here for additional help.

Temp on the OC Guru shows the GPU at 79ºC (this may be a max reading, but we need to be sure)

Yet Speedfan shows 35ºC for your GPU temp.

Please run another temp utility to check the actual temp.

It's getting late and I'm not real sure about my ability to look at the Admin logfile in enough detail to extract patterns.

And I'm surely not familiar enough to even attempt CAPI logs (I don't even know what CAPI is!) while I'm tired.

I'll give them a shot in the morning

Please let me know which hardware diagnostics that you have run. (and the results).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

The only real significant thing in the Admin log that I noticed was a problem with Avast.

Please:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, compatible version from the Avast website

- uninstall the current version of Avast from your system.

- reboot and then install the freshly downloaded copy of Avast

- monitor for further problems.

I didn't notice anything significant in the CAPI logs (but I'm not real experienced with CAPI)

Also, the CAPI entries all date from the 24th, and the Admin log entries only go up to the 21st - so I can't compare them.

If you used the "Critical" entry (Event ID 41) to match the reboots up with the CAPI logs - the Critical entries actually occur after the system has rebooted.

#7 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

Temp on the OC Guru shows the GPU at 79ºC (this may be a max reading, but we need to be sure)

Yet Speedfan shows 35ºC for your GPU temp.

Please run another temp utility to check the actual temp.

I think the OC Guru program lets you prioritize those two different options ("POWER" or "TEMP"), so I'm not reading the 79C as a reading but more of a default setpoint if I selected the "TEMP" option. SpeedFan results were essentially unchanged.

The only real significant thing in the Admin log that I noticed was a problem with Avast.

Please:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, compatible version from the Avast website

- uninstall the current version of Avast from your system.

- reboot and then install the freshly downloaded copy of Avast

- monitor for further problems.

I didn't notice anything significant in the CAPI logs (but I'm not real experienced with CAPI)

Also, the CAPI entries all date from the 24th, and the Admin log entries only go up to the 21st - so I can't compare them.

If you used the "Critical" entry (Event ID 41) to match the reboots up with the CAPI logs - the Critical entries actually occur after the system has rebooted.

Avast has been uninstalled and re-installed with the latest version from their website.

I refreshed the Admin and CAPI2 logs before sending them over, so I guess nothing significant has happened in the Admin logs since the last entry. I've looked through all the different folders in Event Viewer (Applications and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows/CAPI2/Operational) and CAPI2 is the only thing that's going on when the freezes happen.

I'm also running memtest86 right now -- it's on pass 2/4 and so far has found 0 errors. I'll post the results here just in case those are of any use.

#8 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:58 AM

Attached are the Sysnative BSOD Collection App results that were generated right after recovering from a freeze.

memtest86 results here.

Attached Files

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

The Sysnative app contains both the System and Application Event Viewer log files in text (not .evtx)

Also, they include all of the Information entries - so searching them is painful and not a reliable way to determine patterns

I prefer the Admin log file (Report Set 2 above), as it summarizes the Critical, Error, and Warning reports from many logs into one view.

That way we can see what errors occur just before the freeze/shutdown (which is usually marked by a Critical error)

Please post a copy of the Admin log file right after a freeze.  I'll look at the Sysnative log later tonight or early tomorrow AM (I'm late for work right now).

Edited by usasma, 26 August 2016 - 05:07 AM.

#10 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

Please post a copy of the Admin log file right after a freeze.  I'll look at the Sysnative log later tonight or early tomorrow AM (I'm late for work right now).

Attached. There are no new Admin errors (and no new errors in any other Event Viewer log category; only new CAPI2 errors) even after the freeze, which is weird  :smash: .

I also noticed that when the freezes occur, the computer loses network connectivity? Not sure what to make of this problem now:

a71edce5973a1ae81c74ede46b76ab6a.png

Attached Files

Edited by TheOneAlex, 26 August 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

That's a part of the diagnostic.

If there are no errors, then Windows doesn't recognize that there's a problem

So, that says it's probably not a Windows problem - and may not even be a 3rd party software problem.

That leaves hardware.

Just re-reading the posts:

- if you updated to W10, then you likely have the digital rights to a copy on the hardware that you updated it on.

- you've reinstalled Windows - so unless you installed something that would cause this, this tends to rule out Windows (and any 3rd party software - depending on how/when you installed it).

2, 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM (it should be noted that I had a difficult time installing one of the RAM sticks during assembly. Seemed like one of the bays was a tiny bit smaller than the stick so I had to be more forceful than I'd hoped/liked. Nothing snapped/broke to the best of my knowledge...)

- test the system without a stick in that slot

- run CHKDSK again - if it finds errors again, you've got to wonder why (I'd suspect a bad HDD/SSD/cabling/controller)

- USB 3 issues - so what do these have in common?  Most seem to center on the motherboard.

If you rule out the RAM (as described above), then I'd try another hard drive (if you have one you can use).

Finish off the rest of the hardware diagnostics also ( http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html )

Otherwise, I'd guess that there's a problem with the motherboard (but this is a guess on my part, so don't blame me if you buy one and it doesn't fix things :0)

#12 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

That's a part of the diagnostic.

If there are no errors, then Windows doesn't recognize that there's a problem

So, that says it's probably not a Windows problem - and may not even be a 3rd party software problem.

That leaves hardware.

Just re-reading the posts:

- if you updated to W10, then you likely have the digital rights to a copy on the hardware that you updated it on.

- you've reinstalled Windows - so unless you installed something that would cause this, this tends to rule out Windows (and any 3rd party software - depending on how/when you installed it).

2, 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM (it should be noted that I had a difficult time installing one of the RAM sticks during assembly. Seemed like one of the bays was a tiny bit smaller than the stick so I had to be more forceful than I'd hoped/liked. Nothing snapped/broke to the best of my knowledge...)

- test the system without a stick in that slot

- run CHKDSK again - if it finds errors again, you've got to wonder why (I'd suspect a bad HDD/SSD/cabling/controller)

- USB 3 issues - so what do these have in common?  Most seem to center on the motherboard.

If you rule out the RAM (as described above), then I'd try another hard drive (if you have one you can use).

Finish off the rest of the hardware diagnostics also ( http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html )

Otherwise, I'd guess that there's a problem with the motherboard (but this is a guess on my part, so don't blame me if you buy one and it doesn't fix things :0)

- For the RAM testing, it was recommended on another forum that I remove both sticks, clean the contacts with alcohol wipes, and re-insert one at a time with a memtest. Would it be okay to use computer-store bought "electronic wipes"?

- Unfortunately I don't have another hard drive to test out, but buying another 2 TB is probably cheaper than a new/upgraded motherboard and the hassle that comes with it.

Edited by TheOneAlex, 26 August 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

I don't know what's contained in the electronic wipes - if it's alcohol, then it's OK.

If it's not alcohol, then I wouldn't use it.

You can sometimes purchase a hard drive from a retailer that will let you return it (and get your money back) if it's not needed.

#14 TheOneAlex

TheOneAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

I don't know what's contained in the electronic wipes - if it's alcohol, then it's OK.

If it's not alcohol, then I wouldn't use it.

You can sometimes purchase a hard drive from a retailer that will let you return it (and get your money back) if it's not needed.

They seem to be more of external electronic wipes for screens, keyboards, external surfaces, etc. Main purpose seems to be fingerprint removal :T.

"Polyether mixed concentrated solution, glycerinum, isopropyl alcohol, surfactant for cleaning, pure water". I might just go buy some pure alcohol wipes at the grocery store then... :P

Edited by TheOneAlex, 27 August 2016 - 04:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users