Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB hub vs Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mikeis66

Mikeis66

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

My computer will not power on with usb hub plugged into it.With it unplugged from the PC it starts everytime.My other computers work fine with it plugged in. Only this one does not power on.
I have a Asus M4A87TD-USB3 motherboard. I bought it and installed everything, hardware software, ect. I put everything together on my bench in my garage. Everything was working fine, I had shut it down several times and started it back up again while installing everything.Then I connected it up in my house where I had my other PC, which has a MSI 970A-G46 motherboard in it. Everything working good. I shut it off that night.
The next morning it would not start, like it was unplugged, you push the start button and get nothing at all. However the motherboard green light was lit.I tore my hair out trying to figure this out, and finally found the problem. I have a powered usb hub connected to it and as soon as I unplugged it the pc started up. And now it will always start,unless I plug in my usb hub. I can plug it in after it boots and it works fine. There was never any problem with my MSI motherboard or other computers that I have had in there with that plugged in. Can anyone tell me if there is something special in this bios that needs to be changed. I do have the latest bios installed. BIOS: American Megatrends Inc.ver. 2001 03/08/2011. This is a new motherboard. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.
This is my system
Motherboard-ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 2001 03/08/2011
Ram-16gb 
Power Supply-750 watts
Processor--AMD-Athlon-II-X-3-435-Triple-Core
2-9GHz-AM3-Processor-ADX435WFK32GI
Video-4350 Ati Raedon HD PCI-e  Card
802.11n Wireless Lan Card
Operating System Win 7--Win 8.1

Edited by Mikeis66, 23 August 2016 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Various systems may not boot when USB devices are attached at boot...I think that you can find plenty of examples of such, using Google.

Some of the reasons were that the external drive had no on/off switch and could not be identified by the system  when initially trying to boot.  So, the system does the only thing it can do...it halts.  The standard resolution for these instances consisted of either connecting the USB external drive after system has fully booted...or ensure that the on/off swithch was in the "off" position.

Worth A Look

Louis

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:59 AM

I've seen certain USB drives cause this issue, connected directly.  The only resolution I've found is to disconnect them until after the machine is up.

#4 Mikeis66

Mikeis66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:50 AM

Thank you guys for the information. I did take a look at that page you put (Worth a look), and it was helpful also. I guess I will just have to plug it in after boot up. I just found it funny why all my other pcs have worked with it 

and this one won't. I could probably understand it better if it hung during the boot process, but it is just like the pc is unplugged, pushing the on button there is nothing, until I unplug the usb cable. Thanks to everyone for the great help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users