Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can SD Card Data Be Recovered?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

Samsung Galaxy S4

As phone was near full, I have been transferring gallery, apps etc to SD.

Noticed SD card acting weird the last few days. Not always able to transfer data. Some SD located apps working on an off. Corruption signs.

Today,  I connected phone to PC (USB). Saw phone listed but no content.

Did some research and switched phone settings from USB charge only to MTP (already forgot how I did it).

Now phone content was visible BUT no sign of SD card

Now the Brain Burp part- was searching through settings about formatting card without intending to do so, but it ended up formatting!

Bye bye, photos , apps, etc.

I see there are paid recovery apps, but do they work even when PC or phone won't recognize the card?

(I believe I know the answer)

Thanks

Edited by chiiibill, 23 August 2016 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:29 PM

Noticed Backup & Restore (to Google servers) was on. Does this mean that the SD card data was backed up?

Do I fix this SD card and reinstall....get a new one?

Thanks

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

See if PhotoRec can recover the data. Your files will have generic names though. If you want to recover the data with names intact then try Easeus Data Recovery. 2GB of recovered data free.

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm

PhotoRec step by step. Because you formatted the card select none for a partition type.

PhotoRec Video

Noticed Backup & Restore (to Google servers) was on. Does this mean that the SD card data was backed up?

I'm not sure. If it did, it should have synced to your Google account if Backup and Sync was enabled.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 August 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#4 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for the links! Will hold on to them.

Turns out Verizon cloud backup was on.

SD card was in bad shape. Maybe wrong choice but I formatted. Reinstalling apps, games etc and cloud updates it's settings.

But have a few questions:

1) How do I download photos and music Folders back to my SamsungS5 and the transfer to SD card (via phone or PC)?

2) Had transferred Gallery, virtually all apps, games et to SD card but still have no room on device...why? What is hogging the space? Will prevent Cloud restore.

3) A few photos taken before formatting are not in Cloud. Others taken later are there. Why?

Thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

I can't answer those questions. I think you would have a better chance using a Samsung specific forum. You should be able to also drag and drop files from the PC after selecting MTP.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2840804?hl=en

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00046688/

#6 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:42 AM

Much appreciated!

#7 cdbunch

cdbunch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:02 AM

I am not sure where you stand with this now but one thing to consider when you have a SD card problem is that if you remove the SD card from the phone and access it via PC or laptop you have a lot of very good tools available (many of them free and/or open source) and there is no problem with root access requirements on the phone.

Edited by cdbunch, 09 November 2016 - 05:02 AM.

#8 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:29 AM

Thanks much for the reply, cdbunch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users