Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Windows 10] Wi-Fi no longer working, out of ideas on how to proceed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Kiwi

Golden Kiwi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Lenovo Y480 Ideapad (late 2012)

Issue: Attempting to connect to Wi-Fi, status is "No Internet, secured"

Wi-Fi works fine for iPhone and MacBook

Device Manager-->USB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller (Intel WiUSB) "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

The driver was from 2012 and according to Windows there were no updates. Intel Driver Update did not bring up an update either. I removed it completely with the intention of attempting to reinstall it but there does not appear to be any way of doing that. Where do I proceed from here?

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   34.84KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

According to intel your chipset, Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200, has no drivers available for Windows 10 but Lenovo shows drivers available for this chipset. See if installing the Windows 10 driver here works. It is dated 2016. Install  only if you have an earlier version.

Were you ever able to connect using WIFI on Windows 10? 

You may want to look at a USB dongle that supports Windows 10 and is plug and play. 

http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WN725N.html

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

#3 Golden Kiwi

Golden Kiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

According to intel your chipset, Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200, has no drivers available for Windows 10 but Lenovo shows drivers available for this chipset. See if installing the Windows 10 driver here works. It is dated 2016. Install  only if you have an earlier version.

Were you ever able to connect using WIFI on Windows 10? 

You may want to look at a USB dongle that supports Windows 10 and is plug and play. 

http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WN725N.html

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

I've been using Windows 10 for months without any issues. 

Earlier I went ahead and updated everything with Drive Booster, so it's not letting me install it: "Installation Blocked: A newer product version is already installed."

Buying a USB dongle would be a last resort for me although I am coming pretty close to giving up on this.

Edited by Golden Kiwi, 23 August 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:37 PM

This problem occured after updating your drivers with Drive Booster?

I don't recommend third party driver update programs. Only drivers from the chipset manufacturer or OEM.

Are you saying you are not allowed to uninstall the driver in Device Manager? 

#5 Golden Kiwi

Golden Kiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:44 PM

This problem occured after updating your drivers with Drive Booster?

I don't recommend third party driver update programs. Only drivers from the chipset manufacturer or OEM.

Are you saying you are not allowed to uninstall the driver in Device Manager? 

No, updating everything with Drive Booster was an attempt to fix the issue. The driver you linked would not install because it had already been updated earlier.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

Okay, I understand.

I would still try uninstalling the driver you currently have and install the Lenovo driver.

Does Ethernet work? If not then you can try doing a Network Repair using Windows Repair. Only check the Network Repair box. Other than that the only advise I have is to purchase a USB dongle.

#7 Golden Kiwi

Golden Kiwi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

Okay, I understand.

I would still try uninstalling the driver you currently have and install the Lenovo driver.

Does Ethernet work? If not then you can try doing a Network Repair using Windows Repair. Only check the Network Repair box. Other than that the only advise I have is to purchase a USB dongle.

Good news, you were correct! I went ahead and removed the other two drivers I mentioned above and replaced it with the one you linked to and was able to get connected to WiFi again after a restart. My internet still wasn't working ("dns_probe_finished_bad_config" error message on every website) but was able to get that resolved quickly with this. Thank you John!!

Edited by Golden Kiwi, 23 August 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for link on that one error. I recommend you no longer use the driver updater tool. Another thing I would do is keep Windows 10 from automatically updating drivers through Windows Update.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#9 Rahul143

Rahul143

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:38 AM

I also had the same issue. ..  almost tried the most of the methods but non worked really well. But i finally was lucky to sort out this error and also worked for other network error too by reading and implementing this guide about how to fix dns_probe_finished_bad_config and all network errors related to ips. Very Thankful :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users