Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to buy a new computer. should I go with Linux OS?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 1970AMX

1970AMX

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Louis from another forum suggested I post here:

My current computer is 11 years old and the software is no longer being supported, so need another computer.

I would like to bypass Microsoft and the headaches associated with it.

I am open to all suggestions.  Would a computer using the Linux based system be the way to go?

Here are my needs:

Desktop, since they are cheaper

I use a scanner, printer and speakers hooked up to the computer

Basic word processing and basic spreadsheets.  Currently using Abiword  and Gnumeric

Use Photoshop

I back up my computer on an external hard drive once a week

Using Avast antivirus software

Would like the computer to contain a DVD and CD writer, but it would be ok to have an external unit

Looking to get the best bang for the buck and can spend up to 300 dollars.  

A refurbished or open box unit is fine as long as it is not too old.

Please give recommendations for manufacturer and model number, as well as to buy to get the best deal on a computer, online is fine.

Appreciate an advice you have. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Hi 1970AMX,

Could you please clarify what it is that's no longer supported?

If you have a Windows XP computer, it's more than likely that you can install Linux on it.

My laptop which runs Linux (and originally ran XP) is older than your computer. :)

Edited by Al1000, 23 August 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

The only thiong linux can not do is photoshop without some workarounds.

Also avast antivirus is useless in Linux land

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Hey AMX!

Let me address your needs first.

Desktop, since they are cheaper

That works - you mentioned you wouldn't mind buying a refurbished machine. You can get some decent deals on those from sites like Newegg, or even Amazon. Where are you located so we can recommend places for refurbished or open box?

I use a scanner, printer and speakers hooked up to the computer

Linux works with a decent amount of scanners/printers. Please let use know your model numbers and we will see what the support is like under Linux.

Basic word processing and basic spreadsheets.  Currently using Abiword  and Gnumeric

Both of these products are able to be used on Linux.

Use Photoshop

You won't have a ton of luck running photoshop in Linux. You can try under something called wine, but I wouldn't reccomend it. You could check out Gimp, its open source and free and will work on Linux.

I back up my computer on an external hard drive once a week

You can do this under Linux as well.

Using Avast antivirus software

You won't need to run an AV on Linux.

Would like the computer to contain a DVD and CD writer, but it would be ok to have an external unit

Also fine.

As AI mentioned you can run Linux on machines that ran XP. It works pretty well! :)

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Im Confused ,is this a post about asking if *Nix is a good OS to switch too? or is a post about finding a computer to fit a budget? or both?

If The Former: Linux is great and for new users i recommend using Linux Mint 17.3 or Linux Mint 18.  you shouldn't need the avast. You can use WINE to install regualr programs(.exe) but an alt to Photoshop is GNU Image Manipulation Program(GIMP). for word Processing id say WPS Suite or LibreOffice. your speakers should have zero issues when using them, and not sure about the printer/scanner (LM17.3 has a gui tool for printers)

and if the Latter: Depending on what you'd be doing with it, eg gaming, office, casual use.  id choose something along the lines of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100019096%204019&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82GS3087

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also Depending on the Specs of your Older Machine you might be able to slap linux on there and see how it runs with a live boot (should run ok due to the 11 year date)

and just because you switch to linux doesn't mean you wont have headaches anymore :) *Nix has its own set of issues, which is why i recommended Linux Mint 17.3 or 18, they are very stable and simple to use/find things on.

Edited by Viper_Security, 23 August 2016 - 03:02 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

Looks like a lot of good info above.  Here is a little article about Photoshop on Linux

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-photoshop-alternatives-can-run-linux/

Here is another about the two main distro developers that are often suggested here for newcomers.  Al1000 pointed out one of these. 

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-mint-vs-ubuntu-distro-choose/

Remember to post the Make and Model of your Printer, AND what kind of printing you do, Color Photo's or just simple Word docs?

I would also post the Make and Model of your pc, but not the Serial Number.  this way you can get some good input on a new Linux OS/distro.

If you need Photoshop, it might be a good idea to get an inexpensive Desktop running Windows, then also, install Linux in a Dual Boot situation...or, Install Linux on the old machine and use the new for Windows for a while.  Just saying, it is usually better to ease into it especially if you need to learn new programs.

Good luck!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone, for the quick replies, appreciate all the help.

to Al1000:  My current Gateway runs  Windows XP and has a Pentium processor.  The computer runs well but is very slow now.    I keep my computers for a long time, so I figured it may be time to upgrade for the next 10 years  :.)

Maybe I could keep the Gateway as a backup, and to run Photoshop.

to DeimosChaos:  I am located in AZ and refurbished or open box would be great, if it saves money.

My printer is a Canon ImageClass  LBP6000  and the scanner is a Canon CanoScan 3000 ex

to Viper_Security:  I guess I'm the one that's confused.  I'm thinking about switching from Microsoft.  Tired of all the updates and changes that don't really seem to amount to much.

I'd like to change to Linux, but it is unknown territory to me.

I'll check out the links you sent.

to pcpunk:  Gateway model  GT 5014.   The printing I do is just word docs, spreadsheets and adobe files.  Up to this point I still get my photos printed at Walgreens.

--------------------

I really appreciate all the help and would like to get your opinions/recommendations

Edited by 1970AMX, 23 August 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#8 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

vacuum tube:

Gateway model  GT 5014.  

The Windows XP and other various software are no longer supported .  I frequently get "A plugin "Shockwave Flash" has crashed" messages on my Google Chrome 

Edited by 1970AMX, 23 August 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#9 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Hey 1970AMX,

Is this your computer specs?

http://panam.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5395/5395sp2.shtml

If so you should be fine with Linux Mint 17.3 Mate.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Do you know how much Ram Memory you have?

Or maybe even xfce or Cinnamon, all 3 are lightweight gui's

hQBT2G3.png

#10 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

vacuum tube

Those should be the specs.   The RAM on the computer is what came from the factory.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,000 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

Maybe I could keep the Gateway as a backup, and to run Photoshop.

I would do the opposite.  If you buy a new pc with a good Windows install why mess that up?  Then test out Linux on the old box, but that's up to you.  You could also Dual Boot with XP to get practice for a future dual boot with the new machine, there are many scenarios if you buy a new pc.  

I don't know Photoshop, so maybe you need XP to run the version you are using?  I would think you need a supported version of Windows to use the newest version of Photoshop?  But these are just personal decisions for you to make.

My printer is a Canon ImageClass  LBP6000  and the scanner is a Canon CanoScan 3000 ex

Canon has pretty good support for linux, I just looked at the information, and Canon should work out of the box on most linux distro's.  Printers don't work as well on linux for some functions, so it will be hard to say exactly what will work as you want it to, I think you will be fine though because not only does linux have drivers on board, they have drivers at the canon site for your printer, that's a good sign. 

For now, we should get you a LinuxLiveSession working, either from a DVD or USB/Flash Drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

For Linux, Rufus or PowerISO work best

Edited by Al1000, 24 August 2016 - 02:49 AM.
removed reference to deleted post

hQBT2G3.png

#13 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

So it might be a better idea to buy a new MS OS computer instead of a new computer loaded with the Linux OS?  and install the Linux OS on my Gateway computer after deleting the MS OS?   I'm pretty ignorant about computers.  Wouldn't the old computer (once the MS OS is deleted and replaced by Linux) be slower than the new one?  Or would the idea be to load the Linux to the old computer just to get used to the Linux OS...then eventually load Linux to the new computer I buy and have a dual OS computer?

Edited by 1970AMX, 23 August 2016 - 04:37 PM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Wouldn't the old computer (once the MS OS is deleted and replaced by Linux) be slower than the new one?

Quite the opposite with the right Linux installed it will be faster than any Windows system.

#15 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:01 PM

This is off topic and difficult to answer but, how many years, on average, might my 11 year old Gateway have left in it?  The age of the computer is one of the reasons I was thinking about a new one, aside from the no support for the software factor. 

To NickAu

Thanks, I guess without the bloatware etc it will be faster. 

Edited by 1970AMX, 23 August 2016 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users