Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you help in recovering deleted/saved draft?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 threeicys

threeicys

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Hello Bleeping Family, 

Hope you all are well.

I have an issue that may not be for this place in the forum. Perhaps this cannot be helped here at all. Nevertheless, I must try ardently. 

I was typing an important email in draft form when I inadvertently hit something on my keyboard and it disappeared! Just like that.

Yahoo Mail , well let's say they do not provide what I call support. I cannot get a hold of a human. 

I am told that yahoo mail saves drafts but there is a temporary invisible form of them? 

So I came to the place where web chivalry is still alive! (I will take a Joan of Arc too)

Any ideas?

My heartfelt gratitude for any and all efforts. 

:hello:

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2016 - 12:44 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Where you using the yahoo website or a program like Outlook? If website, what browser are you using?

Sounds like you may have been using Chrome and fell victim to the Backspace button. On some sites with typing fields based on flash, and you click some place else beside the field and change the focus, backspace stops becoming delete and becomes like the browser back button. Pressing the forward may return the cached site, but only the online part is cached when you close the browser. Also, I think it is only saved to drafts when you hit save. I don't think it has auto save like Gmail.

#3 gunnerone

gunnerone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:06 PM

The first thing would be to check in the "Drafts" folder.  In my experience it seems to do a pretty good job of saving it, even if I happen to hit the back shortcut.

yahoo_drafts.jpg

#4 threeicys

threeicys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

I am using Yahoo Mail, I guess that is the website. Opera browser. I have no clue what the forward button is. Never used it I guess.

I checked Draft, Sent, Trash,Spam, not there.

My son just got home and said I might have pressed with my pinky finger CTRL +Z. If so what is the remedy for that?

Edited by threeicys, 23 August 2016 - 05:45 PM.

#5 gunnerone

gunnerone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

Ctrl+Z is the shortcut for undo.  So if you type something then press ctrl+z it would erase the last little bit you typed.  You probably would have had to press it several times or hold it down to erase everything you typed.

The opposite command is ctrl+y, which is the "redo" shortcut.  But, once you've closed your browser you're out of luck with this command.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the email is probably gone.

#6 threeicys

threeicys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:04 AM

Wow, I have got to figure out a way to avoid this ever happening again. Long hours when into this draft. ( you know those long hours? the ones that are more than 60 minutes?)

There are worse things in life I suppose. (Pollyanna)

Thank you for your time bleeping family.  

Cheers!:-)

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:45 PM

Opera browser. I have no clue what the forward button is. Never used it I guess.

The forward button is the arrow pointing right in the top left corner of the browser. Look to the left of "3" of this picture. If you are accidentally going back/left, you can use the forward arrow to go back to the page you were on. However, if you wait too long, it will only bring back the webpage you were on, not anything you typed into it.

layout.png

If you want to disable the backspace key from ever working as the "back" button, see instructions here. Some versions of Opera have a option under settings/configureCommands while others require a plugin.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Going forward, regardless of what email program you use, regardless of what browser, at the end of every paragraph or insert, please on-purpose Save As or Save to the Draft folder wherever that Draft folder is located.  In a very similar way, I've been there, done that, with WordPerfect 5/1/DOS until I made it a habit to save often, one good save right on top of the previous save, or successive saves, either way.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users