Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which one is better Avast or Malwarebytes ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

Should i keep Malwarebytes or is Avast better ?

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Malware bytes has been dependable for decades, where as Avast is a baby in comparison. Both should perform regular database updates. I use Malwarebytes religiously as it has a very wide range of detections, and I've had Avast miss viruses before, not very reassuring if you're using your machine for sensitive tasks :P

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

Malware bytes has been dependable for decades, where as Avast is a baby in comparison. Both should perform regular database updates. I use Malwarebytes religiously as it has a very wide range of detections, and I've had Avast miss viruses before, not very reassuring if you're using your machine for sensitive tasks :P

Yea but the free version of Malwarebytes has no real time protection

Twitter

Website

#4 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

What do you use your computer for?

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

Neither.

Avast is anti-virus software. Malwarebytes is anti-malware. They compliment each other, not compete with.

Excerpt from Lifehacker.com

Viruses are a specific type of malware (designed to replicate and spread), while malware is a broad term used to describe all sorts of unwanted or malicious code. Malware can include viruses, spyware, adware, nagware, trojans, worms, and more

#6 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

Neither.

Avast is anti-virus software. Malwarebytes is anti-malware. They compliment each other, not compete with.

Excerpt from Lifehacker.com

Viruses are a specific type of malware (designed to replicate and spread), while malware is a broad term used to describe all sorts of unwanted or malicious code. Malware can include viruses, spyware, adware, nagware, trojans, worms, and more

Yeah, exactly. It probably comes down to personal preference, but I'd rather be covered in multiple areas than a single one, especially in the advanced technological age.

#7 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

What do you use your computer for?

Browsing the internet

Twitter

Website

#8 icanswim70

icanswim70

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

Again, it's personal preference, but from my tech perspective it's better to have a wider range of protection, as the internet is not limited to just viruses, you could download a rootkit, a Trojan, worm, etc, or even accidentally open that email... :smash:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

A similar statement is in this Malwarebytes HelpDesk Article: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

So i should install Avast too?

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 23 August 2016 - 04:01 PM.

Twitter

Website

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

If you only have Malwarebytes installed...then yes you need to install an antivirus.

However, avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#12 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

If you only have Malwarebytes installed...then yes you need to install an antivirus.

However, avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

If folks are looking for a free alternative I generally recommend recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if they prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For those who do not mind a paid for product, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Im not gonna create an account for any of those.

Twitter

Website

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Folks come to Bleeping Computer for advice, recommendations, an answer to a specific question and other assistance. We provide that based on our knowledge, experience and expertise so they can make an informed decision. What you choose to do with that advice and information is up to you.

#14 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

Folks come to Bleeping Computer for advice, recommendations, an answer to a specific question and other assistance. We provide that based on our knowledge, experience and expertise so they can make an informed decision. What you choose to do with that advice and information is up to you.

Ill just stick with malware bytes so i wont end up installing everything i see.

Twitter

Website

#15 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:53 PM

You are free to do whatever, but in my professional experience, I wouldn't be caught without both. I have seen BitDefender Free Edition catch a number of viruses that Avast or AVG couldn't handle. Panda Free (my current AV) caught something a few months back that did not come up on Mbam's scheduled scans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users