Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop ASUS computer. Is this a good deal or can I do better?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1970AMX

1970AMX

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

I'm looking for a desktop computer to surf the web, do basic word possessing and spreadsheets, and Photoshop.  Also with a decent DVD RW.

Is this a good deal?

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/genuine-asus-refurbished-m32ad-us026s-intel-core-i5-4460-x4-3-2ghz-8gb/291585925.html?listingId=478441092&sclid=pla_google_WeeklyCloseouts&adid=29963&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6O-9BRDjhYXH2bOb8Z4BEiQAWRdukyUlyVscmGiSTn2I1oIS8JvGfSuhd6sPbEY_0Ro893oaAr0Y8P8HAQ

Are the components good quality?

I'm looking at refurbished, because it seems that it will save me money.  Would like to spend between 200 and 400 dollars.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:58 AM

This product is sold by weeklycloseouts.com through rakuten.   Weeklycloseouts has not had good reviews, but rakuten seems to be ok.   So I will most likely pass on this vendor.

I noticed that newegg has this computer, also refurbished, for approximately 430 Dollars.  If you think I can find a better computer for the price, let me know.   Also, at 430 dollars, this computer is over my budget.

any advice on a low cost computer that will meet my needs as listed above would be appreciated. 

thank you

#3 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

How about the computer in the link below.  It has the old Windows 7, but that is ok with me.  Is there any reason not to buy a unit like this?   Is it a reasonable price?  Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Performance-Dual-Core-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01EO1NY44/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

Amazon is a reliable vendor...I've bought a couple of refurbished desktops from vendor affiliated with Amazon.

I have a bias against SFF systems, so I would never suggest one.  Did you take a look at the refurb Dell desktops?  I would find those to be more desireable than any SFF, AIO, lapstop, and any other system which by design will make repair and troubleshooting...difficult.

Buying a system...is always dealer's choice.  If you like a system, take a chance and buy it.  You will never be able to get the "best bargain" when buying a system.  New systems come out routinely (we seem to forget that these are products being sold and they have continuouly moving inventories of systems).  You are the best judge of what you want, why you want it, when you want it.

Louis

#5 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

OK Hamluis, I'll take a look at the Dell Computers.  Are they pretty reliable?  

The reason I'm asking for help trying to figure which computer to buy is because I am fairly computer illiterate, although I use mine all the time as a tool.

I'm looking for bang for the buck (but it should be reliable, I don't want a brand or model that will tend to break down) and my needs are modest.

Thank you

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

OK Hamluis, I'll take a look at the Dell Computers.  Are they pretty reliable?  

In my opinion, yes. My experience with Dell computers is that they tend to be more reliable than most.

#7 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:54 PM

To answer your original question OP....

No. I would not think that is a good deal. Where I work we use virtually the same computer you posted. The motherboards (very important part) are fine, seem to be good quality so far. It's the other parts that I am not certain. One of them came with a dead video card, the other, I think it was a bad hard drive. So to summarize I would not touch a refurb'd ASUS. To be honest, I am not impressed with the build quality of ASUS stuff overall. But, I have not worked with every ASUS model, so I could be biased.

How about the computer in the link below.  It has the old Windows 7, but that is ok with me.  Is there any reason not to buy a unit like this?   Is it a reasonable price?  Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Performance-Dual-Core-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01EO1NY44/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Don't do it. HP and refurbished?? No way I would touch that. Also Small Form Factor machines don't tend to last as long as their larger counterparts.

Edited by Gorbulan, 23 August 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#8 1970AMX

1970AMX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

thanks Gorbulan.   I'll avoid the ASUS brand and refurbished HP.  And stick to the larger form machines, I have plenty of space on my desk.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:27 PM

I think the Dell Optiplex refurbs are good buys...cheap, reliable...that's just my opinion (I did purchase 2 over the last few years and have no complaints about either).

And you should get a restore disk and a valid license with any refurb.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users