Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update stopped in Vista Home Basic, - again

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

- Right. Messing up permissions could/will make your system vulnerable for infections.

Edited by Willy22, 24 August 2016 - 07:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 haterms

haterms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

I thank you both, who helped me with this issue.

Here is what I have done, and my thoughts:

Sure, after I experienced the update problems, I tried to solve them on my own. I am not the type, who runs for help immediately. So, I studied the internet, first of all the MS infos, recommended measures. That's why I used RegCure (it is a crap), Tweeking (it is ok), etc. I managed to screw up my computer totally this way. I even lost my Restore Points, Restore capability, Registry Backups. For a while, only Safe Mode worked.

There are very dishonest advises among all, like try RegCure (free download, and run), which finds over 2000 issues. Since it was recommended by MS, and told that it is an associated company, stupidly, I did the scan. Then, when I wanted to fix the issues, it told me that it costs money. I even went along, and let the tool fix. I also used subinacl, and only God knows what else This made my computer unstable, got blue death several times..

Luckily, I created a clone of the HD in 2015, after an Update problem was fixed with Bleepingcomputer's help. It was a good, professional team work. That time, it was indeed virus, and malware infection (used AVG as protection that time). I discovered at the end, that the system time, and region got changed. After I fixed that, Update worked. Than, I made a clone of the drive.

Then, in July 2016, Update stopped working again. And, the responsible svchost was running in an endless loop, eating up all the CPU, and memory. I had to shut down the process, if I wanted to do useful work.

So, I started to look for a solution. As I described above, my trials screwed up my system to the hopeless. Then, I cloned the saved HD from 2015 to an SSD. I started from there. Update did not work either. I tried a few things, and finally I reported the issue to BleepingComputer. 

I got professional help again.

I followed the German site's instructions: created the Admin account, downloaded the actual updates in Stand Alone mode. I had to use elevated command prompt, and command line. One by one i installed the updates, Unfortunately, I used a site, which did not explicitly mentioned the Restart after each successful update. So, I installed all the updates, and restarted the system.

Followed that, I logged in as a user, started Update. First, it did not work. Then, I renamed in Safe Mode the SoftwareDistribution folder. After that, it started working in normal mode. It downloaded ca. 130 updates over night. I must tell that I did not allow automated install. The strange thing is that it does not allow in this mode setting the update time. It is fixed to 3 AM every day. I usually put my PC to sleep in the night, so it may not download any update with this setting. I cannot change it. So, I have to start search for Update manually. I can see now all installed updates, over 600, and also update history.

After downloading a zillion updates, I had to restart the system. Worked fine. Then, it found more updates ca. three more times. That went fine too. However, three updates: KB927978, KB954430, and KB973688 keep recurring, so I had to hide them. Now, Update is quiet.

The CPU usage is down to 7%, the responsible svchost eauts up 0% CPU, and 95000 K memory. I still do not understand why it has to use up so much memory, but be it.

As one of you indicated, update problems worsened as Windows 10 arrived. In my opinion, it is not by chance: MS is not a SW company anymore, but an aggressive money making machine, serving the power. I think they cause many problems; - I do not think always willingly, - they are not so smart, but by chance, and they do not mind. It is impossible to test such a monster SW before releases.

I used to write OS for Digital Equipment, and designed computers. Those were different times. We created real products to help people, not just for profit. As I had to dig down deeper into MS OS, I realize that it is a patchware, not structured SW. Normally, there should be a central piece with standard interfaces, which never changes. All the other features should plug in to the standard IF. I cannot see this concept.

When I see, that a scan, or registry scan test 500 000 to over a 1 000 000 items, I know that it cannot be any good. Way too complicated, no one can oversee so much. Everyone sees just his small piece, and creates that accordingly. So far, so good, thanks God that the aeroplanes  do not fly with Windows. But, what if that generation disappears, which knows how to make zero tolerance SW ? If it continues like that, this will happen, - fun generation.

So far, everything is good. Thanks again. I call this issue RESOLVED, and thank you all for help. It is really good that knowledgeable, helpful people are still among us.

God bless you!

#18 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

- I have a different take on this. It's not only that MS is (very) busy with Win 10. The user of Windows (Vista, Win 7 & Win 8) has the possibility to "pick & choose" whatever update he/she wants to install. And that creates a nearly infinite amount of possible combinations and that makes the task of writing an algorithm that takes all those possibilities into account (extremely) complicated.

- And I know MS is already busy with reducing that update complexity for Win 7 & Win 8. But alas, not for Vista.

Edited by Willy22, 24 August 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#19 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:24 PM

I followed the German site's instructions: created the Admin account, downloaded the actual updates in Stand Alone mode. I had to use elevated command prompt, and command line. One by one i installed the updates, Unfortunately, I used a site, which did not explicitly mentioned the Restart after each successful update. So, I installed all the updates, and restarted the system.

Followed that, I logged in as a user, started Update. First, it did not work. Then, I renamed in Safe Mode the SoftwareDistribution folder. After that, it started working in normal mode. It downloaded ca. 130 updates over night. I must tell that I did not allow automated install. The strange thing is that it does not allow in this mode setting the update time. It is fixed to 3 AM every day. I usually put my PC to sleep in the night, so it may not download any update with this setting. I cannot change it. So, I have to start search for Update manually. I can see now all installed updates, over 600, and also update history.

After downloading a zillion updates, I had to restart the system. Worked fine. Then, it found more updates ca. three more times. That went fine too. However, three updates: KB927978, KB954430, and KB973688 keep recurring, so I had to hide them. Now, Update is quiet.

Hi haterms:

Good to hear that Windows Update was finally able to download your missing updates, although I'm not sure why you can't edit the schedule for your automatic updates unless your setting at Windows Updates | Changes settings | Important updates is set to Never check for updates.

Keep in mind that Dalai's workaround at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ is only a temporary solution and Dalai revises his list of required Windows kernel-mode-driver (Win32K.sys) updates every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month).  The September 2016 Patch Tuesday updates are scheduled for 13-Sep-2016 and if you leave automatic Windows Updates enabled you will likely find that your "Checking for updates..." hang and high CPU consumption will return next month after Microsoft releases their next batch of Patch Tuesday updates.

To avoid this problem, I've permanently disabled automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)]. I wait a day or two after each Patch Tuesday, check Dalai's webpage at http://wu.krelay.de/en/, download and install the new standalone update package (.msu file) for the Win32K.sys update added to Dalai's list, and then run a manual Windows Update to install my remaining Patch Tuesday updates.

Your recurring KB927978, KB954430, and KB973688 are all related to security updates for the Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 (MSXML) Parser.  Different versions of MSXML are included with various Microsoft products, such as Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft SQL Server - see the MS support article List of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) Versions .When I go to Control Panel | Programs and Features it shows that I have MSXML 4.0 SP2 (including KB973688) and MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser on my 32-bit Vista system.

If Windows Update continues to re-offer your hidden updates see the Known Issues section for KB927978 (MS06-071: Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0) and KB954430 (MS08-069: Description of the security update for XML Core Services 4.0: November 11, 2008) which both mention workarounds for installation issues when the update is offered repeatedly or requires a second re-boot to install successfully.  KB973688 (Description of an update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2) also notes that you must have MSXML 4.0 SP2 installed before this hotfix can be applied. MSXML 4.0 SP2 has been out-of-support since April 2010 so I'm not even certain these security updates are necessary to patch known vulnerabilites if you already have MSXML 4.0 SP3 installed.

There is also a thread in the MS Answers forum titled KB973688 and KB954430 won't install. Windows update is looping on these. They never install that might be helpful if Windows Update continues to offer these updates.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v48.0.1 * NIS v22.7.1.32 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

Edited by lmacri, 24 August 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#20 haterms

haterms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hi Imacri,

Thanks for valuable advise again. You gave us a very good guide. It is extremely useful for many people. However, this issue clearly shows that this product is a chaotic patchwork, and the support is weak to say the least. What if our car worked like that ? (they also do it more and more).

Basically, me, and many more in similar situation, put too much effort in solving a non-local-problem (virus scan, XY-fix-run, etc.)  In the proces of fixing, I screwed up my laptop with the diverse fix-suggestions, until I found the right, simple solution. Luckily, I had a clone of my system drive, from the time it worked fine. I will continue this practice.

So, I have to disable automatic update, download the actual; patch, download manually the important updates, wait until the next patch....

Best regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users