Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lord_Townicus

Lord_Townicus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:40 AM

I have an Asus N56VB Laptop which I have had for just over two years now. A few months into having the Laptop I started to notice Internet Connection issues. Sometimes the internet just drops and sometimes reconnects very quickly or can't reconnect without resetting the modem or plugging in an Ethernet Cable. That solves the disconnection there and then but it won't stop it happening again. The chances of the internet disconnecting I notice increases if I'm downloading files or downloading games from Steam. Or if I'm on my Laptop and my Parents are on theirs. Or if I'm on my Laptop and Xbox One. We have Virgin Media Broadband in our House and these Internet problems I've having now never happened with my old Acer Laptop.

Any help to fix this ongoing issue would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

Does it effect only wireless devices? 

What modem modem/router or gateway do you have? 

#3 Lord_Townicus

Lord_Townicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've never had the disconnections happen when the Ethernet Cable I have is in my Laptop. They've happened mainly when on my Asus Laptop but it has happened when using Wifi on my Phone and my Xbox which I am connected by Wifi. 

My Router is a Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G. 

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

First thing I notice is your laptop was made for Windows 8 and Windows 10 is known for having driver issue. Did you recently upgrade to Windows 10?

Netgear WGR614 is a older Wifi G router while your laptop can do Wifi N. Part of the problem may be the router juggling the different newer wireless devices on the older Wifi G band. Do you notice if your wifi signal goes down alot before disconnecting? Or are there times when the network dissapears all together? Is upgrading to a newer Wifi N router possible?

In your OP, you said you have to "reset the modem". Do you mean router? If not, have you asked your ISP why you have to reboot the modem? What kind of modem do you have?

Edited by Trikein, 23 August 2016 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Lord_Townicus

Lord_Townicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

I upgraded to Windows 10 around this time last year, I can't quite say for certain if these issues have got worse with Windows 10 or Windows 8. We did get offered very recently a free upgrade to a Virgin Media Superhub but I have my reservations whether to go for that. When my wifi signal goes it does vary between dropping then going and just simply going. Sorry yes I meant the Router. Not Modem.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

What driver is your wireless adapter using? To find out, Windows Key + R > hdwwiz.cpl > Double click "Network Adapters" > Double Click your adapter > Driver tab > Driver version. Asus only has up to 10.0.0.263 on their website here which is certified to Windows 8.1. From what I can tell, Asus N56VB uses the Atheros AR9485WB-EG. Here is someone having problems with a similar laptop. One work around seems to be to run the driver in "compatibility mode", although most of those are to fix problems where the driver wouldn't work at all. For more info, see "Using Compatibility Mode to Resolve Driver problems" about half way down this page.

However, I think the laptop is just one part of the issue. My guess is there is a new device or some new interference which is causing the older router to have a hard time juggling multiple wireless connections. Getting the super hub would mean newer wireless technology would could resolve the problem, but getting a modem/router combo can also have it's disadvantages. What cable modem do you have now? Could you just upgrade the Netgear router?

Finally, if you want to troubleshoot the current Netgear router, I can give some instructions. What is your techno comfort level? There are some free programs which can help you diagnose wireless interference problems and ways to change settings on the router. Is this something you would want to do?

Edited by Trikein, 25 August 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#7 Lord_Townicus

Lord_Townicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

I'm gonna apologise in advance as I'm ok with tech but not brilliant.  My network adapter list shows two bluetooth devices, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 and Qualcoom Atheros AR8161

I've got a Virgin Media Modem Model No E08C013.00. Upgrading the Netgear Router to something nearer is definitely something I could do. My techno comfort level as mentioned earlier is ok but not great so it depends.

Edited by Lord_Townicus, 25 August 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

Make sure you have the latest Intel drivers found here. Next, check how the router is configured by going to 192.168.0.1 in a browser, user: admin password: password unless you changed it. Then click on "Wireless settings" on the left and should see something like this emulator. I suggest the mode to be set to "G only" and Security is set to "WPA-PSK". ::Note:: Changing the security type will require a new wifi password creation.

The main wireless bottleneck I see is the router is not compatible with WPA+AES security for wireless. It can do WPA but with TKIP. Not only is TKIP less secure but slower. 

As for the modem, I think it is the Ambit U10C018 which is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I would check with Virgin Media if your area has DOCSIS 3.0. If your internet plan is above 30Mbps I would suggest upgrading that if/when you upgrade the router.

#9 Lord_Townicus

Lord_Townicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

I've done the first things you suggested, my connection does seem a little bit more reliable but it's by no means perfect, still drops. I think with the newest Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 combines the two and it does use DOCSIS 3 Technlogy, we got offered it through the post so I'd hope they know if our area has it haha.

Edited by Lord_Townicus, 30 August 2016 - 04:15 PM.

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

I would not suggest the Superhub based on the reviews I have seen on it just researching how it works. Biggest issue is a UPnP bug. Renting a combo unit may seem convenient, but I find buying your own gives you better selection, performance, customization, and pays for itself in a year or two.  However it is your dime, so it's obvious your call to make. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users