Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help in Choosing VPN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maveric2013

maveric2013

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have been looking for a VPN service (for my windows-7 Desktop PC) . I am from India. I have free trial of many VPNs Such as Cybergost, HotspotShield, Zenmate ...etc. but not able to figure it out, which one is good in terms of

1. Encryption

2. Anonymously surfing / Downloading

3. Fast Connection Speed

4. Privacy

5. Cost Effective

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JenniferHudson

JenniferHudson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

Hello Everyone.

I have been looking for a VPN service (for my windows-7 Desktop PC) . I am from India. I have free trial of many VPNs Such as Cybergost, HotspotShield, Zenmate ...etc. but not able to figure it out, which one is good in terms of

1. Encryption

3. Fast Connection Speed

4. Privacy

5. Cost Effective

Thanks.

My personal experience says PureVPN is good for all of these and the price is very much affordable. 

Here, have a look for more details https://www.purevpn.com/order

#3 Sannyboi

Sannyboi

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Another one I have been using for over a year now is NordVPN. They have servers all over the world (As you'd expect from an established VPN) and have clients for windows and android, or tutorials on setup for many other OS's including more obscure Raspberry Pi etc.

As far as I can tell from their terms of service located here they keep no logs that can be requested.

They claim to encrypt your data twice:

NordVPN locks down inbound and outbound data using military-grade AES-256-CBC encryption that’s applied not once, but twice. [/size]

They offer the ability to pay using 'anonymous' currencies as well as regular payment methods, with 1-month (8$/m), 6-month (7$/m) and 1-year(6$/m) options.

Their customer support from first hand experience is adequate, although not full of enthusiasm my problem did get solved very efficiently.

They offer multiple variants of VPN, including servers specific to P2P Traffic (Note: Any illegal activity is not tolerated) and TOR over VPN. They list their products features Here. They also sell routers with built in VPN settings.

I have no issue with their speeds, as a drop in speed is expected. A Speedtest conducted from my home in Australia connected to one of their US servers had me with a ping of 253ms, and a download speed of 10.54mbps. (I am on an ADSL2+ connection and avg 19mbps without a VPN. 

Honestly if you have to choose a VPN do your research, and make sure to read their terms of service and privacy policies, as not all groups are looking out for your best interests. This is just one option, and there are so many VPN's on the market that could fit your needs.

Edited by Sannyboi, 24 August 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Your best option might be Tor, "the onion router". Free, highly anonymous, with some tweaks (however they'll slightly reduce your anonymity so are a bit risky) you can edit your "torrc" to select the country you want to appear as if you are coming from, it's very private and there are no logs kept. It is not hugely fast though, your connection is routed through 4 other computers before it reaches the worldwide web, so it is a little slow (not ridiculously slow though). Tor is strictly for browsing, it cannot work for p2p systems and should not be used like this, doing so will make you no longer anonymous and will slow down the connections of other Tor users, some of whom have to use it for reasons of personal life and liberty. Tor's encryption within the network is as strong as any other good encryption method, but your traffic (NOT your own IP address and personally identifiable details though) may be visible to third parties if the site you visit through tor is using http not https, in either case your IP address and such other things that can identify you are protected within tor. When using anonymity, please be pleasant with it, just because you are hidden does NOT make it ok to be nasty online. Tor exists for windows, linux and mac.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 maveric2013

maveric2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

thanks everyone for your reply. 

can I go for CyberGHost VPN? Paid version

#6 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

thanks everyone for your reply. 

can I go for CyberGHost VPN? Paid version

Yes you can go with CyberGhost but you would face connection issue that get delay most of the time, otherwise its good for your other requirements.

I've been using expressvpn for the past 3 weeks now in Beijing without any noticeable problems (beyond some installation hiccups that took a couple days to sort out). Have only really used it to watch Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley, And Mr.Robot at work and in my apartment (so essentially a stable connection), it feels more or less like surfing the web in the U.S. You can read complete review of ExpressVPN by taking decision https://www.expressvpnreviewz.com

Edited by sajidali27, 31 August 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#7 MasterChief86

MasterChief86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:11 AM

Hello Everyone.

1. Encryption

3. Fast Connection Speed

4. Privacy

5. Cost Effective

Thanks.

Alright. First of all, may i know what is the purpose for a vpn? it will help me and others answer it a little better :/

Apart from that, I haven't tried Cyberghost myself so i;m not sure about that. I have tried ZenMate and HSS and i think they're okay,  but only when you're very, very desperate for a secure connection because those ads kept popping up every minute and i hated every second of that. I can't even enjoy an epi of GoT without having to close all those annoying commercials a dozen times. Only when i disconnected did i realize how most of the sites that weren't opening in my browser were actually okay and those ZenMate and HSS IPs were blocked, prolly because spammers may be using them cuz they're free.

So, to answer, you can try either of them but go for the paid version. I think HSS's paid is a little expensive and i'm not sure i'll still be blocked over HSS and ZenMate so I went for Ivacy VPN instead of taking the risk. Based on the criteria you posted, what i'm getting is:

1. Encryption - 256 bit

2. Anonymously surfing / Downloading - Yes

3. Fast Connection Speed - The closer the better

4. Privacy - No logs

5. Cost Effective - Got 2 years for $36 

The problem in your case is that you may not get a trial, and will have to pay upfront to try it out, but at least they have a 7-day return policy which you can always count on.

Edited by MasterChief86, 05 December 2016 - 06:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users