Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mydefrag corrupts the filesystem in Windows 10 AU?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eton975

eton975

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:28 PM

I've used the application Mydefrag for over a year now. After installing AU, I decided to give the system a fresh defrag overnight (there was a LOT of disk activity during the install and I thought a defrag might shave a few seconds off boot and startup time). What I got was a notification in the Alert Centre about disk corruption and urging me to reboot to fix it. I did, and my install bricked. Had to reinstall and recover from backups later.

Now of course I didn't know whether MyDefrag was truly the cause of this, so I tried again on the fresh install after rebooting several times and doing a disk scan. When running the program (which uses the Windows defragmentation API) I noticed that it wasn't reading the list of inaccessible files, and so when the defrag started, it was trying to write to places like C:\$MFT (!!!!!) and other vital system directories. Stopped the defrag and thankfully another disk scan fixed the issue.

What I'm wondering is just how something like this happened. Did the inaccessible file list move or change location, has the Windows defrag API changed since the AU or something? If so then couldn't other defrag software cause corruption as well or is MyDefrag just poorly designed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

Is there something wrong with the defrag that's built into Windows?  That's all I've ever needed.  Why fix something that's not broken?

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 eton975

eton975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

There's nothing wrong with Windows' built in defrag, but Mydefrag does tend to do a better job of consolidating files in the same folder into blocks close to each other on the disk. This means that there's a lot less head movement going on, which means a higher read speed.

There are various benchmarks out there, and MyDefrag was either the 1st or 2nd best defragmenter in most of them, and often shaved 10-15 seconds off of program load times compared to Windows' builtin defrag.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

If you want fast program load times, look into putting Windows on an SSD.  They've gotten pretty inexpensive in the last year.

#5 eton975

eton975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

Seriously though, don't like having my defrag programs making a mess of my hard drive.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

That's why  I don't use 3rd party defrag programs.

#7 ibach

ibach

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

Seriously though, don't like having my defrag programs making a mess of my hard drive.

Do not listen to those retards.... What is wrong with Windows built in defrag ... here are all the switches:

All Windows Defrag switches:

Value   Description

/A      Perform analysis on the specified volumes.
/C      Perform the operation on all volumes.
/D      Perform traditional defrag (this is the default).
/E      Perform the operation on all volumes except those specified.
/G      Optimize the storage tiers on the specified volumes. (access based)
/H      Run the operation at normal priority (default is low).
/I n    Tier optimization would run for at most n seconds on each volume.
/K      Perform slab consolidation on the specified volumes.
/L      Perform retrim on the specified volumes.
/M [n]  Run the operation on each volume in parallel in the background.
        At most n threads optimize the storage tiers in parallel.
/O      Perform the proper optimization for each media type.
/T      Track an operation already in progress on the specified volume.
/U      Print the progress of the operation on the screen.
/V      Print verbose output containing the fragmentation statistics.
/X      Perform free space consolidation on the specified volumes.

It will defragment, but its level of optimization and customization is pathetic.
Compared to MyDefrag with all its scripting capabilities it simply sucks.

Mydefrag is not for SSD?
The MyDefrag script to defragment and optimize Flash memory is specially designed to move as little data as possible. Fragmented files are defragmented (this takes just a single write cycle), unfragmented files are not touched at all. Gaps are filled by moving all the files together (also just a single write cycle), if there are no gaps then MyDefrag will do nothing.

It will not do retrim.
For SSD I’d suggest using software that prevents fragmentation all together like Diskeepers intelliwrite.

About your problem … It’s all Microsoft as usual! Has nothing to do with any defrag software.

The update did f... up one of my computers too the same way. I did fix that, but it was tedious venture. Had to do with MBR, boot manager etc.

You did well to just reinstall in this situation.

And, decent defrag program will, and should, defrag MFT and if it is a good one it should defrag everything. Even the "unmovable" files.

Unmovable files are imaginary, do not exist in real life.

Why fix something that's not broken?!

It's not fixing the broken but doing what has to be done!

About geting SSD... Do get one! You will like it. It does wonders to response times.

Edited by ibach, 20 October 2016 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users