Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony laptop battery question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Someone brought me a Sony VAIO / PCG61317L notebook because it is getting no power. It's nice little unit in like-new condition.

They tell me that the battery will not hold a charge, and now the notebook is not getting power. The problem is not that it will not boot; it just is not getting power at all. Totally dead when the power switch is pressed, this includes even if it is plugged into the wall socket, with and without the battery installed.

The power brick is getting power....the small green connection light is on when plugged in. I put a multimeter tester on the plug, and it registered power. So the wall adapter unit is functioning. I have spent an hour trying to find a manual for download, with no results.

So...my question is this: normally, will this unit boot if the battery is bad but it is still plugged in to the wall adapter? Or...is this one of the few that will not boot if the battery will not hold a charge?

If I can get a dependable answer to this I know what to do next, but I really don't feel like opening the unit up needlessly.

Thanks all!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

First, you need to know what does not work. Is it the battery or is it charger. Or maybe they both are dead. The fact that the green light is visible on and the tester indicates something, does not mean, that it works. This is pulse charger, which contains generator and if this generator is damaged, it will not generate useable impulses.
To test if the pc works, You must get at least correctly working battary. Then is seen what works and what not. 

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

First, you need to know what does not work. Is it the battery or is it charger.

That is what he is trying to determine.

Are you using the adapter that came with the laptop? If so, try a different charger if at all possible.

The power brick is getting power....the small green connection light is on when plugged in.

I've had the connection light on even though the charger was bad. Even though the light was on the laptop was not charging. It may or may not hold true for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#4 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

First, you need to know what does not work. Is it the battery or is it charger.

That is what he is trying to determine.

Are you using the adapter that came with the laptop? If so, try a different charger if at all possible.

Honey. My specialty is electronics, has been whole my life and think I know what I speak.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

FWIW:  I suggest...that you never address any female member of this forum/website...as "Honey".  I don't such method of address...will be appreciated by the addressee.  We provide membernames...and some of us provide our real names...for those who want to address us.  "Honey" isn't on the list for the person addressed with your response.

Louis

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:28 PM

And what I said is also correct. Based on my experiences, not once but at least 3 times with my laptop chargers and once with the charger for my daughter's laptop. My specialty is what I see with my own eyes.

You did say he needs to find out what is not working. The two things you mentioned are what he is trying to find out about in order to determine which one (if it is one of them) is not working.

So enough with the quibbling. Let us return to helping ranchhand figure out what the problem is.

There is also a possibility that it is neither the battery or the charger. It could be something in the innards where the charger hooks into the laptop.

Eliminate the basics, such as the charger being faulty, and move on to other causes.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Admittedly, as far as laptops go my experience is less that desktops. Evie, good suggestion; I will ask around my circle of friends and try to find a wall adapter with the same (or close to it) output as the adapter I have. Both Evie and Kaljukass .... good info, I didn't realize that the charger could be bad even with power flow indicated. That's what is great about these forums, there's a huge amount of experience out there to draw from!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

hamluis... thank you

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users