Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Radeon HD5700 upgrade required - help for the computer illiterate requested.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Philbee

Philbee

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

I have two home PC's, built for me by a friend in 2009. Since then about three or maybe even four years back he upgraded the video cards for me to AMD Radeon HD5700's (one is a 5750 and the other a 5770 - I have no idea why).

Anyway - my wife and I are just starting to play Witcher 3 on these machines and we notice that every so often the game freezes for maybe 5-10 seconds which depending upon if you are picking herbs or getting your ass handed to you can seem like an eternity.

My hazy recollection is that this was precisely the same reason just in a different game that the video cards got changed last time around.

I've read as many forum posts about video cards as possible but I am none the wiser. My friend who knows about these things, you see, has left the area and so I am floating alone up the creek, paddleless.

Here are our rig specs, any help would be greatly appreciated - oh and I plan on upgrading within the month and both machines at the same time. I am not made of money so something that will cost about $3-350 for both (if possible) would be ideal.

And don't hold back - if something else screams "replace me - I'm more grumpy and out of sorts than my owner!" then tell me. Thank you for your patience and presumed kindness.

Philbee’s PC
Motherboard: Asus P5Q Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500
Processor fan: Zalman CNPS9500A LED
Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8000BWS
Case Fan: RCTIC COOLING Arctic Fan 12L
Power supply: Thermaltake Toughpower W0117 750W
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB 1066 (installed as dual channel)
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
Sound card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 24-bit
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 64bit

Mrs.Philbee’s PC

Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400
Processor fan: ASUS Silent Knight
Case: Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS
Case Fan: RCTIC COOLING Arctic Fan 12L
Power supply: Cooler Master RS-750-ACAA-A1
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB 1066 (Installed as dual channel)
Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Sound card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 24-bit
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:50 PM

Looking at the minimum requirements for the game, I don't think a video card upgrade alone is going to do it.  They are suggesting a minimum of a Core i5 2500K (a quad core processor, which is a lot more powerful than your Core 2 Duo) and recommended spec is an i7 or 8 core AMD CPU.  This means new motherboard, CPU, memory, GPU etc.  Sorry I can't suggest anything that would be within your budget to bring them up to that spec.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Philbee

Philbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

Looking at the minimum requirements for the game, I don't think a video card upgrade alone is going to do it.  They are suggesting a minimum of a Core i5 2500K (a quad core processor, which is a lot more powerful than your Core 2 Duo) and recommended spec is an i7 or 8 core AMD CPU.  This means new motherboard, CPU, memory, GPU etc.  Sorry I can't suggest anything that would be within your budget to bring them up to that spec.

Gulp! Well, I did ask - so thank you very much for responding.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

No problem.  If you were looking to upgrade one PC to a suitable spec, it may be doable with that sort of budget and some careful component selection, but not two.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Philbee

Philbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

Alright - dumb question time. If I free up enough money to pursue the two new rigs, can I save time/money by keeping the current HD's as they are less than a year old, 1Tb and contain all our data and the Win 10 OS of course!

The reason for asking is that someone told me I "would not get the Win 10 OS to work once the HD is moved to another machine" - true statement?

#6 Philbee

Philbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:08 PM

I have a feeling I have answered my own question by being persistent and annoying to the MS support staff. I needed to either buy a new copy of Win 10 (MS preferred approach....can't quite imagine why...) or alternatively grab a copy of ProduKey and make a note of my digital product key for activation issue resolution when I get round to doing something rash...like building a new PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users