Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC crashes & won't wake up from Sleep using Dual Monitor Setup w/ new GFX Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 heny

heny

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hey,

I recently replaced my MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 graphics card with a XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black Edition. Unfortunately the new card gives me some trouble.

When the PC goes to sleep mode it won't wake up properly anymore pressing a key or moving the mouse. In fact the hard drives etc. seem to spin up but both connected displays stay black. Hibernate works fine though.

My setup:

• Intel Core i7 4770K
  • ASUS Maximus VII Hero
  • 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB (DDR3-1600)
  • XFX Radeon RX 480 GTR Black Edition
  • 2x BenQ GL2460 (1x connected via HDMI, 1x connected via DVI)

Drivers: Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.8.2

Also I experience crashes in games after playing for a while. In DOOM I can probably play for 2-3 minutes before the screens go black in pretty much the same way as with the sleep issue. BioShock Infinite can be played longer but eventually crashes aswell. When checking the system events I came across this warning: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." With 2D/desktop usage I haven't come across any crashes yet.

What's important: these problems don't occur if I have connected only a single screen using HDMI. No crashes, no trouble waking up from sleep mode.

So far I've tried the following things:

• Uninstall all drivers completely/cleanly using the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility + reinstall current Radeon drivers
  • Check/reset all driver settings to default
  • Reseat the graphics card in the PCI-e slot to make sure it's properly installed
  • Use a different 8-pin PSU power connector
  • Make sure Windows is fully updated (it had to download some ACPI update having "amd" in its name)
  • Set the power plan to "High Performance"
  • Prevent all USB Root Hubs in the device manager from being possibly shut down
  • Set primary display in BIOS to PCI-e

I've measured the GPU temperature using GPU-Z and right before crashing it hit 77°C, which I think is still in the acceptable range.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause these issues? The dual monitor thing is obviously most striking to me but I'm unable to make sense of that. With my old 770 I've never had any problem such as this. In fact I even had three displays connected (1x HDMI, 2x DVI).

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

I would clean the CMOS by removing the watch battery for a few seconds from the middle of the motherboard. If that doesn't work and the drivers are correct I would RMA the card if you can.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users