Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

USB Bricked and Testdisk reports "Space conflict between 2 partitions"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dkja

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Hy Guys,

This is my first forum post albeit with a problem and here it is:

I wanted to make a Win7 bootable installation USB without formatting and so google came up with the following tutorial:

How To Make Bootable Windows USB Without Formatting

But it did not work and eventually bricked the USB/un-bootable, though the data is still there. 

I was able to successfully recovered the data using Photorec. The main challenge is to reinstate the USB state prior to bricking it. 

I found Teskdisk (cgsecurity.org) and analyzed the drive. Testkdisk detects 2 partitions. "(Space conflicts between two partitions) - 2 * Sys=74 & 1 * Sys=6E." (the partition structure as shown in linked image).

I also posted this on cgsecurity forums, but haven't received any resolution nor found a solution elsewhere:

But Testdisk doesn't offer options to fix conflicts and I'm no expert in fixing MBR issues so really don't know how to fix it? 

How do I reinstate the USB state prior to bricking it?

Currently, using Win 7 (32bit). USB drive - file system prior to bricking: FAT32.

Can any buddy help me out. Infact I also tried the EasyBCD (https://neosmart.net/forums/) but they couldn't help either.

Can anybuddy/guys take a look and help me get the usb to pre-bricking state. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

Because you have recovered your data is there any reason why you cannot delete the partitions and reformat the USB drive? See if Partition Wizard allows you to delete the partitions. On the unallocated space create a FAT32 primary partition. If you want to create a bootable flash drive use Rufus with a Windows 7 iso file.

You can also use the diskpart command to delete any current partitions on the drive

At a command prompt type 

list disk

select disk X     Where X is your number listed for the USB flash drive. 

clean                This will delete all partitions. Make sure you have selected the correct disk number. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 August 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#3 yemdeeyen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:20 AM

The OP wants to get his flash drive back to its original state where he can access the 8GB of data files in it as before, that is before the failed attempt to create the bootable flash drive without formatting it. (He did recover some files using PhotoRec but PhotoRec gets him only a bunch of files without the original file names and folder structure. The author of TestDisk had advised him to use TestDisk instead since PhotoRec cannot recover the folder/file structure.)

#4 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

Before going deeper into Testdisk please download UBCD and create a bootable disk from the iso file. At the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop attach your flash drive. Mount the flash drive as per this guide. Do you see your files/folders using the File Manager?

If the computer you are booting UBCD from is Windows 8 or later then you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings and enable Legacy/CSM boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users