Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

puppy + skype issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nahlanee

nahlanee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

hello everyone, this one is driving me crazy. I hope you can help me.

problem: since the Webcam mic won't work on Skype in puppy I made a fresh install of puppy tahr 6.0 (on usb drive) and followed the instructions of mike-walsh to obtain audio. everything worked, except for the last step. I don't know how to start skype, because after the install it doesn't appear in the menu.

more to the story behind it: my dad has an old windows xp desktop and wants to use Skype. I made him a usb drive with puppylinux just for this purpose, so he can plug in the usb drive when he needs skype. I managed to do everything, put skype on startup and autologin. but the webcam mic won't work, in other software it does and here not. after a million times searching and trial and error I deleted puppy and tried at least 6 other light weight distros on the usb drive, none was as good as puppy in my eyes. so back to puppy.

please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

Hi, nahlanee.

Sorry, that was my fault. I forgot to mention that watchdog's compilation doesn't generate a menu entry until after a re-boot, for some reason.

You should find, after a re-boot, that navigating to /usr/share/applications will show you a 'skype.desktop' entry, which you can drag across to the 'desktop' ('pinboard', actually). This is your 'desktop launcher' icon, which will then start Skype for you. Failing that, just drag the 'skype' entry from /usr/bin across to the desktop, and dress it up with an icon. It should also now show up in Menu>Internet.

You can use the right-click 'Edit' option to change the caption under the icon.

There's a selection of my own here, if you want to 'tart up' the bog-standard Skype icon.

BNGBtln.png

YlojeB0.png

IBbVoLl.png

Iea0oO6.png

WDfoFwE.png

Make sure to save as .png icons; these work best with Pup's desktop. As for the mike problem, hmm... What make & model of 'cam are you using? Is it 'built-in', or an external USB job? You're going to need to run 

alsamixer

from the terminal. Once in alsamixer, press F6; this will show a list of the available sound cards. Your cam should be listed here, if it's a USB one. If it's built-in, I'm not so sure how you identify it.....but it ought to show up. Scroll down the small window that appears in the centre of the Alsamixer window till you have your cam highlighted, then press 'Enter'. This will show you the info for your webcam.

If you then press F5, it will bring up the controls for your webcam, including, hopefully, one for your mic levels. You'll need to use the 'up/down' scroll keys to change the setting on it.

Did you remember to run 'arecord -l' to bring up the details for all the capture devices on your system? You'll need the card/device numbers for the /etc/pulse/default.pa script, at the point where I indicated, don't forget.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 August 2016 - 12:04 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 nahlanee

nahlanee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:03 PM

hey mike,

thanks for answering. I dragged both files onto the desktop. skype.desktop isn't doing anything when I click it and the other one is opening a ListDD window. did I do something wrong? I rebooted multiple times before that.

edit:after rebooting several times again both Skype files still do nothing and skype isn't showing in the menu. the Webcam is a noname standalone (not buildin) and works on every computer I have. I can see it in alsamixer and the mic level is full. I looked up the aplay and arecord like you wrote it and changed the file default.pa, but now as I looked if it's still right I saw that my changes weren't there anymore, so I did it again.

Edited by nahlanee, 22 August 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hi again, nahlanee.

O-kayyy. Let's have a think about this. :scratchhead:  Coupla questions:-

1) Did you install everything in the correct order? 

a ) The QT library SFS first? Have you actually loaded this via the right-click 'load-on-the-fly' utility? This is absolutely essential as a first step, since Skype will not run without the Qt libs installed.

b ) Then the pulse-audio .pet?

c ) Followed by the Skype .pet itself?

What do you get when you enter

/usr/bin/skype4.3

...in the terminal? The 4.3 after 'skype' is important; it won't give the correct response if you don't enter that exactly. If there's anything missing, or not right, this should give some clues as to what's going on. What response do you get? Please repeat it exactly, word for word, if you can.

It's always possible you've got bad downloads; it does happen. Would you be prepared to uninstall what you have, reboot, d/l the items again, re-install.....and then see what happens?

Have a look at this link to the Puppy Forums; it's the very post where I got the installation instructions from that have succeeded for me.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=892153#892153

I assume you've checked 

pulseaudio --start

...and discovered whether or not PulseAudio actually works with your hardware, yes? Although this wouldn't prevent Skype from firing up.....

I'm betting the terminal should show us what's going on, however. Let me know what it says, please.

BTW:- One other thing, while I think of it. Would you happen to have some idea of the specs of your dad's machine? Make, model, CPU, RAM, graphics card, etc? It might help, it might not.....but it wouldn't hurt to know.

One final item. From re-reading your first post agin, am I right in thinking that you've set Skype to auto-start (by sym-linking it into /root/Startup) when Puppy boots? That could be the crux of the problem right there...

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 22 August 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 nahlanee

nahlanee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 06:11 AM

Hey mike, thanks for your commitment to help me :)

I installed everything in the right order. But couldn't run skype in the end.

When I booted puppy today skype appeared in the menu, without me doing anything. So when I enter /usr/bin/skype4.3, skype comes up. the terminal says: "W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is sepcified)". it says the same when I enter "pulseaudio --start".

Yes I am prepared to deinstall and install everything including deleting, but Im not sure how to do all that, because Im not used to linux.

I've run "pulseaudio --start" now a cuple of times (with the one sentence above as response). sound (speaker and mic) does work in vlc and alsa sound wizard, but not in skype.

You have to know: Im doing all this at my home with my netbook, because I think it doesn't matter on which machine I set it up (does it)? Everytime Im at my parents place (usually on weekends) I try it of course on my dad's computer. I don't have his specs at the moment, sorry. All I can say is that its a really old windows xp sp2 computer with little RAM (512mb??).

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my first post. On my first try I installed skype from quickpet and put it into auto-start. at that time I didn't know there would be any problem, like the mic. after I couldn't resolve the mic problem I deleted puppy and made a new installation with your instructions. I don't plan to install it on the pc itself, just on the usb drive.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Hallo, nahlanee.

Mmm. Still sounds to me as though you haven't actually got the Qt libraries loaded. The Linux Skype client just will not run without them, since it's built around them. Are you absolutely certain that you've loaded the 'qt-4.8.5-i686-stripped_5.6.1.sfs' file, by right-clicking on the SFS and selecting 'sfs_load'?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for your changes not being there in the 'default.pa' config file, sounds like you opened the file with Leafpad (which is kinda like the Linux equivalent of Notepad.) Leafpad will say it's saved the file, but it doesn't; one of Pup's little quirks, I'm afraid..!

(At this point I'll just briefly point out that Puppy is written, assembled, tested, and 'patched' entirely by volunteers. Not one single person in Puppy-land gets paid for what they do; it's an absolute miracle that we have such an amazing little distro at all, really..!)

What you need to do is to open 'er up with Geany, which is the general purpose editor in Puppy, especially for config stuff. If you right-click on the 'default.pa' file, you'll see 'Open as text...' Click on this, and the file will open in Geany. Make your changes, then click 'Save' on the menu bar before you do anything else. You'll see the title of the file in the tab change from red to black, indicating that the changes have been saved successfully.

Close Geany, then right-click and open the file again with 'Open as text...', and you should still see your changes in place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The warning about PulseAudio running as root in the terminal can, for this application, be safely ignored. It's all to do with Pup's unusual 'running as root' model. Most Linux distros are written as multi-user set-ups. Puppy, on the other hand, is intended as a single-user set-up from the word go.....mainly because most Linux afficionados tend to be like Windows users; they like the newest hardware they can afford. The kind of ancient hardware that Puppy targets tends to be used by individuals, anyway; folk who just want to get something ( anything!) running on an 'old clunker' (sic.)

This gives an interesting view on running as root, by Barry Kauler, Puppy's originator (the only person who is entitled to the title of 'Puppy Master'..!):-

http://barryk.org/puppylinux/technical/root.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the above doesn't help to get things running, then I'm at a loss as to why not. If you've followed the tutorial, then you've taken the exact same steps I took myself.....and it's working fine for me.

EDIT:- This is going to sound, perhaps, like a stupid question.....but I take it Tahrpup is actually booting from your flash-drive, yes? And can I this time safely assume that in the new install, you haven't set Skype to 'auto-start'?

Mike.  :scratchhead:  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 23 August 2016 - 11:58 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 nahlanee

nahlanee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

Hey Mike,

today I brought my dad's computer to my place. I installed a clean new puppy to the formatted usb drive and followed your instructions. this time I don't have any problems firing up skype.

but I still have the mic problem AND the sound problem. I can't hear the test sound in skype. and Im not sure if the mic is working anywhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the specs are (according to Hardinfo hardware information in the menu):

processor: 2x AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core 4800+

memory: 4148MB

motherboard: ALiveNF6P-VSTA

graphics: Gallium 0.4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've set (and saved) my default.pa to:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,0
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:3,0

because of:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 1: pcsp [pcsp], device 0: pcspeaker [pcsp]
card 2: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 4: Device [USB Multimedia Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

and

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 2: ALC662 rev1 Alt Analog [ALC662 rev1 Alt Analog]
card 3: CAMERA [USB2.0 PC CAMERA], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
card 4: Device [USB Multimedia Audio Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

I was so sure that it would work out this time. the installation of the files you gave was succesfull and skype appeared. but now...

#8 nahlanee

nahlanee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:51 AM

Hello,

after trying for far too long to get anything going I tried it again with windows and it is working! Im so happy. I will keep puppy as a backup. Thanks Mike for your help.

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

Hi again, nahlanee.

Well, I'm glad to hear you've got it working one way or another.....  :thumbup2:

Re; Skype in Puppy. I would try alsa-sink-device as hw:0,1. I suspect the digital output will work for you where the 'analog' one won't. Don't ask me why; I just do! Give it a try, anyway.

Interestingly, your Dad's machine is almost the same spec as my own old Compaq. I run an X2 3800+, and have 3 GB RAM, rather than 4. 

As for which machine you set it up on, well....yes, it does matter (to a degree.) Although the Linux kernel has pretty much every driver ever developed built-in to it, and will always set Puppy up to work with whatever hardware is currently available, the problem is that existing config files (set-up on a different machine) won't automatically be overwritten by the relevant information. This is one of Linux's advantages. The system won't automatically 'mess thing up' without informing you that changes need to be made. Thinking in the Linux world being that the user ought to have at least some say (and therefore a degree of control!) over what his system is trying to do.

You may find this to be an interesting read. It attempts to explain some of the differing viewpoints between the Windows and Linux camps:-

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

No, I'm afraid Microsoft are at the bottom of all this messing about with Skype in Puppy, due to their insistence on using PulseAudio. ALSA (the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) has been used in most Linux distros for as far back as I'm aware. PulseAudio, right from its inception, has always been 'flaky', to put it mildly; it's always been problematic.

It's no wonder there's little love lost between the two camps. Ç'est la vie, I'n afraid!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 August 2016 - 06:42 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

I run Debian Jessie as root all the time. For single 'workstation' (personal computer) running with full authority tends to be easier/quicker, albeit with less security. Some programs complain about running as root and might need a tweak to get running. Google Chrome seems to be the exception and just wont work at all under root, so I just edited its /usr/share/applications .desktop file to add into the Exec line (of which there are three in total) so as to have a kdesu -u user .... additional command sequence i.e. run as 'user'. Probably a good thing anyway as the browser is a weak point with regard to security.

i.e the first case of a Exec line in my google-chrome.desktop now looks like

Exec=kdesu -u user /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U

A inconvenience is that you may have to re-do those edits any time google chrome updates

That kdesu command is KDE specific code by the way, others might have to use gksu -u .... instead or whatever graphical super user command your system uses.

Personally KDE and pulseaudio, along with the installation of pavucontrol - which you can run to administer sound .. is great IMO. When sounds are playing pavucontrol shows channels pulsating, so even if you can't hear anything you can see that sound is running, and use the various options to actually select the settings so that you hear the sound. Often I have dogradio playing (Dance Groove USA is a good background music type station) and that plays through my external speakers, and I have youtube and skype set to play (record) via USB headphone/mic. BTW even though you can hear a youtube playing whilst talking on skype if you have both running at the same time, the other party can't hear that youtube.

As part of load testing I usually open up 10 or so simultaneous browser tabs with a youtube playing in each (I usually use sneekylinux's youtubes to do that), pulseaudio handles that loading well .... sneekylinux blitz ... as though he's in a group party of sneekylinux clones :)

OpenBSD

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

I agree to a certain extent about PulseAudio. It worked very well for me a couple of years ago when I started out in Linux with Ubuntu.....but I've never found it to be that brilliant in Puppy. Or should I say, the 'standard' Pups; the Debian-based ones have always been a bit of a mystery to me! TBH, I came to Puppy to get away from the Ubuntu Software Centre, and all that faffing about with Synaptic (I never could get the hang of using it!)

The USC (although merely a GUI front-end for Synaptic) was always rubbish at installing stuff. Half the time it always missed out dependencies.....and most of the Ubuntu Forum old-timers kept insisting that you must use Synaptic.

I ended up installing, and using, the stand-alone installer, gDebi. At least it always pulled the dependencies in! But after a while, the never-ending updates started breaking my hardware functionality...aargh! 'Twas enough for me. It was the straw that broke the camel's back, as far as I was concerned. Right from the word go, Pup's always run as smooth as so much oiled silk.....

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 28 August 2016 - 07:18 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hi Mike.

With Windows programs tend to be more independent, with Linux a lot of the functionality is in commonly shared libs which means that actual programs might be relatively small. Debian stable has a stable set of libs/programs specifically included because they (in concept) all work well together ... reliable. Outside of that and there's the test (next) version of libs/programs ... which is what Ubuntu tends to use. You get more recent versions, but that aren't fully tested collectively and as such at risk of crashing/trashing a system/installation. Many accept that as in return they run more up to date versions of programs ... stable by its nature are older more fully tested/fixed versions.

A factor with Debian is that its best to just stick with the repository. If you start adding in programs from elsewhere that can screw the package database up and cause problems.

You can of course install and then turn updates off altogether, or perhaps just opt for security updates only. I run a frugal read only version that has the option to save changes if so desired, or not. Mostly I don't save changes, just keep all docs ...etc outside on a separate partition/folder so that they persist across reboots and just reboot Debian without saving (so all changes during a session are lost), which means I reboot the exact same version each and every time. But have the option to install/test updates and if they look ok then preserve those changes.

Under this Debian 64 bit Jessie KDE USB image https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu8cvE_WZUNjSnplU0EwTGM/view?usp=sharing that you might copy to a USB by downloading (USB must be a 8GB or larger capacity stick), uncompressing and running https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ in Windows (or copy to a usb by uncompressing the img file and then cp deb64.img /dev/sdf  (or whatever your USB partition identifier (without the numeric partition number at the end)) to install Skype once booted you open a terminal and first install 32 bit architecture support

# dpkg --add-architecture i386
# apt-get update

and then get a copy of skype

# wget -c http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-debian_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb

and install that

# dpkg -i skype-debian_4.3.0.37-1_i386.deb

and finally check/fix the installation

# apt-get -f install

Skype is one of the oddity programs that isn't in the Debian repository as they exclude 'non-free' stuff. After the above Skype will be running under pulseaudio so for instance you can be listening to a Youtube through USB headphones whilst also talking on Skype at the same time, and playing a radio station through external speakers. pavucontrol is great for that as you can see visual indications of sounds playing and select things accordingly.

There is a issue with Linux Skype in that contacts aren't always being correctly updated as they occur (come on/go off line). If you open a contact and enter

/msnp24

in the SMS window and press enter, that code will refix logging into the skype server that reflects on/off line notifications.

For other programs under Debian you can use the command line, "apt-get update" updates the local copy of the package database, "apt-get upgrade" pulls down any updates, "apt-get install xxxx" installs program xxxx ... for instance

apt-get install leafpad

installs the leafpad (notes) text editor. Programs can have weird names however, so Synaptic or any GUI package manager can help to search for (and install) programs by name or function (internet, office, whatever).

Edited by rufwoof, 30 August 2016 - 10:12 AM.

OpenBSD

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

Please stick to the topic and helping nahlanee

Please read the following.

Maintaining Continuity of Support Topics

Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix

Be warned off topic stuff will be deleted without notice in the future.

Regards

NickAu

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users