Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CentOS 7 - How many heavy processes can I handle?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Courtney51

Courtney51

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:21 AM

Hi,

I have a dedicated server 4.4GHz i7 with 4 cores and 8 threads.

Is it a good idea to run 4 heavy processes (each process eating ~80% CPU thread during peak load) per 1 dedicated server (hence 4 cores) and rent additional dedi for 5+ processes? 

Will I lose potential performance when running 5+ heavy processes on 4 core dedi?

P.S.
It's worth mentioning that these are single threaded application(s).

Edited by Courtney51, 22 August 2016 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

Welcome to BC Courtney51!

So each of those 4 processes are eating 20% of the CPU while at peak load. Adding in an additional 5th process, assuming its similar will eat another 20%, putting you at max capacity of the CPU. I don't really see an issue with running those 5 on the same server. More than likely the peaks will fluctuate and they all won't hit at the same time. So you'll still have some room to spare. Of course if they go 100% all the time, you may want to use another server so you don't run the first one at full capacity all the time.

It all depends on what you are doing really. If you don't need any spare CPU cycles, running those 5 processes on one server should be fine. Again though, since I don't really know what you are running/doing (and may not be familiar with it) its hard to say. If it was me I would try it out on the one server, see how it works. If performance takes too much of a hit, move to a second dedicated server.

Hope that helps you out some!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

Eh linux doesnt really force computers over the edge like windows does normally, it only uses what it needs to.

Microsoft windows eats up space, chews up ram and takes up power just because it can.

:inux uses things as it needs things.

Plus multitasking in general is far better in linux

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 August 2016 - 01:28 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:38 PM

Please note that this isn't a Linux versus Windows thread, but feel free to start one if you wish. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users