Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

half installed XP- cant go any further!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 toonbroon11

toonbroon11

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:08 AM

hello experts!

im in a bit of a pickle- i am trying to reinstal windows xp as my laptop is getting pretty slow.

The problem is, as the attached photos show, there was a rpblem with the cd and it only hald instaled, and I cannot go any fruther, or undo the installation, so i cant see what to do

im hoping one of you can provide some advise.

Any help is much appraciated....

regards, sam

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaCukiMonsta

DaCukiMonsta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:49 AM

Looks like your disk might be corrupted, or damaged. It might be worth a shot trying to <cough coughdownload the install disk from a legitimate, non-torrent based website where it's completely 100% legal to download the ISO. </cough cough>

As a side note, "installing XP because my pc is slow"? I don't quite understand that reasoning, but I guess it's your decision.

Edited by DaCukiMonsta, 22 August 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#3 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

thanks for the promt response Dacuki!  I mean i got the laptop from someone else and its just absolutelyfull of crap and very slow, so i thgouth i fresh start was best. i know you cant recomened using a non legit windows disc- but im in colombia and getting an old xp disc (which is hte onyl system i want and that this machine will handle!) is impossile... is there anyway i can help this current instalation with the limited resources i have?1

much appraciated, 

sam

#4 DaCukiMonsta

DaCukiMonsta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:51 AM

Toon, do you have another machine, Windows/Linux/Mac with a CD drive?

Edited by Al1000, 22 August 2016 - 05:19 AM.
Mod edit Al1000: reference to deleted post removed

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

If it's a laptop...why did you not elect to try to restore to factory defaults?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#6 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

hello, thanks for the replies- yes i do have access to my housemates laptop with windows and a cd player

and louis- i thought that by reinstalling windos and wiping the partition this would in effect restore to factory settings. id dint know you could do that directly

The make and moel are: hp pavillion ze2000

thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

FWIW

More FWIW

If the CD is the problem...I would simply wash it with plain water and then dry it with a cotton cloth, moving only in straight lines, not circles.  I would then try it again.

Louis

#8 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

hey louis

no unfortunatly its not that- it was a new burn, and i also tried another version with similar problems

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

If you burned XP from an iso I would try reburning the image using Imgburn and use a write speed no faster than 4X if possible.

It's possible your optical drive is bad. If you burned XP SP3 from an iso then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive but the computer may not support booting from USB because of it's age.

#10 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

okay so i tried that, but the message on strat up is, "ntldr is missing press cntrl + alt + del to restart "

and when i enter the settings to reboot from Cd there is an exclmation mark next to the cd drive, which i guess means it wont boot from the CD?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

The ntldr error indicates is trying to boot from the hard drive. When you say enter settings to boot from CD do you mean your BIOS settings? Was this an iso of XP you are burning? 

#12 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

yes in the bios settings the Cd has the exclamation next to it. i dont think its an ISO. would you recomend that?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

I have never seen an exclamation mark next to an optical drive in BIOS. How did you burn your original disk of XP? From your images it looks like the install did boot correctly. Was it from an iso file or some other source? It's possible the exclamation mark means the media in the optical drive is not bootable.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 September 2016 - 11:14 AM.

#14 toonbroon11

toonbroon11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

so i tried another iso but the same message. it appears , as you can see from these screen shots that the CD is the first boot option.... but it doesnt work for some reason.

Attached Files

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,594 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

In your first image of your original post you were able to boot a CD, correct? Now any CD you try refuses to boot? Do you have a spare floppy disk and is the floppy drive functional? Is there a USB port on the computer?

Just to be sure you have a bootable disk see this post. Insert your CD and select Read in Imgburn. It should say if the disk is bootable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users