Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with dos commands, lost admin password

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pumpshot

pumpshot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:31 AM

I recently helped someone reset there lost admin password on a local account Windows 10. I found this website and followed it successfully.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2988539/windows/if-you-forget-your-windows-admin-password-try-this.html.

I don’t know if I’m in the right place to get answers for my questions but I would appreciate it if someone would take a look at this. To make this short I’ll cut to the meat of the issue.  After booting from a usb and opening cmd the first command lines are

X:

Cd windows\system32

Ren utilman.exe utilhold.exe

Copy cmd.exe utilman.exe

Exit

My first question is, why did we rename utilman.exe utilhold.exe? Second question is, if utilman.exe has a different name then why did we copy cmd.exe to the old file name utilman.exe? I would assume utilman.exe only exist with a different name, maybe that’s not so.

This is the commands to put things back to normal. I haven’t applied this so I can’t say this works yet.  

X:

Cd \windows\system32

Copy utihold.exe utilman.exe

Exit

OK here we go. I ran this command windows\system32 dir /p, and both files utilman.exe, and utilhold.exe do exist.  So what did we do with the last copy command line? Did we copy the contents of utilhold.exe into utilman.exe, simultaneously deleting utihold.exe and the old contents of utilman.exe w/cmd.exe? I’m not very experienced with using Dos command lines so some of this is a little confusing. If someone could maybe spell this out to me it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

My first question is, why did we rename utilman.exe utilhold.exe

Ren utilman.exe utilhold.exe

This is to keep the original utilman.exe as a backup called utilhold.exe. It could have been called anything. 

Second question is, if utilman.exe has a different name then why did we copy cmd.exe to the old file name utilman.exe?

Copy cmd.exe utilman.exe

This is a copy and rename command. The above command copies the cmd.exe file (command prompt) to a file called utilman.exe. The original utliman.exe has not been touched as it has been renamed to utilhold.exe. If you did this command without the first rename command you would no longer have utliman.exe on your system. This command is required to allow you to open a command prompt when clicking on the Ease of Access button which normally opens utilman.exe but because you copied cmd.exe to utilman.exe clicking on the Ease of Access icon opens a command prompt instead. 

Copy utihold.exe utilman.exe

This command may ask if you want to overwrite utilman.exe as it already exists. But yes, this should revert you back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users