Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lock screen as screensaver, refreshes every minute

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 princecanthony

princecanthony

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

Hello! I am running windows 10 on my PC. I recently switched my screensaver to the lock screen by going to the screen saver settings, selecting the "(None)" option and then activating "on resume, display logon screen". After a set amount of time, the lock screen successfully displays, but every minute it shows a loading icon as if it's logging in, then reverts back to the lock screen.

There must be a way to get rid of this loading every minute. Some kind of setting, editing the registry. I have searched so many different pages on google but have found no answer. Please and thank you for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

Are you saying you cannot login to Windows  10?
Have you try the  Safe Mode  . Another way of getting into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the Shift + Restart combination. Open the Start menu and click or tap on the Power button. Then, while keeping the Shift key pressed, click or tap on Restart.
You can reset your password or turn off "on resume, display logon screen" you should also repair damage Windows system files from Safe Mode.
Open the Command Prompt and type below command.

Sfc /SCANNOW

Clean Boot
If the error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:

• Start Windows in Safe Mode
  • Open Run dialog box by pressing 7W6b39o.png keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:

• Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

Posted Image

#3 princecanthony

princecanthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:15 AM

No... I have the lock screen as my screen saver. My problem is that every minute, the lock screen refreshes and shows a loading symbol, then back to the lock screen.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

In the Screen Saver Settings dialog, you have choose On resume, display logon screen and at lock screen you can login but your are saying lock screen refreshes but issue here is what is loading symbol is it same loading symbol as when you login to Windows 10?

Install all Windows important updates.

Install latest version of the graphic card driver you can found latest graphic card  driver from website of the manufacturer of the computer or graphic card manufacturer.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified Windows system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Edited by FreeBooter, 22 August 2016 - 05:54 AM.

Posted Image

#5 princecanthony

princecanthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the same loading symbol as when you successfully log in, or the account is being locked. Then it goes back to the lock screen.

I installed all windows updates, latest graphics driver is installed, and sfc found nothing wrong.

I tried the lock screen saver on a different computer and after a minute the screen went to sleep.. The difference is that on my original computer I have the setting "console lock display off timeout" set to 180 minutes.

Edited by princecanthony, 22 August 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

This behavior is by design in Windows 8 and 8.1. By default, when the console is locked, Windows waits for 60 seconds of inactivity before powering off the display. This setting is not configurable using the Windows user interface. Set the setting of "console lock display off timeout"  to  zero and  use below  registry file to remove "Console lock display off timeout" from Advanced Power Settings. 

Attached File  Remove_Console_lock_display_off_timeout.reg   782bytes   2 downloads

Using the PowerCfg.exe utility, you can configure the display timeout used when the PC is in an locked screen. From an administrative command prompt, the following commands can be used to control the display timeout:

powercfg.exe /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOCONLOCK <time in seconds> 
powercfg.exe /setactive SCHEME_CURRENT 

Note: These commands set the timeout used when the system is plugged in and using AC power. To set the timeouts used when on DC (battery) power, use the /setdcvalueindex switch instead of /setacvalueindex.

Posted Image

#7 princecanthony

princecanthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

Dang! That looked like that would have worked, but still the same..

I set the time in seconds to 10800 (3 hours) but still after a minute in the lock screen it showed the same-- profile picture, username, with a loading icon, then back to the lock screen..

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

Reset settings of the power plan you are using to default settings.

• Click Start c00850235.gif, Control Panel, and then click Hardware and Sound.
  • Click Power Options.
  • In the Select a power plan window, select the power plan you wish to use.  
  • Click Change plan settings next to the plan that you want to change.
  • On the "Change settings for the plan" window.
  • Click Restore default settings for this plan.
  • To change more power settings, click Change advanced power settings.
  • Click Restore plan defaults.
  • Click Apply and Ok buttons.
  • Restart your computer and see issue has been resolved.

Posted Image

#9 princecanthony

princecanthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:44 PM

I really appreciate your help.. Restored default for both settings, and redid the powercfg.exe just to be safe, but still the same.

I also did the powercfg.exe for the computer that went blank after a minute, but it just started refreshing the screen after every minute, the same as the original computer..

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:37 AM

Have you tried logging in as a different user and setting the Power Plan you want to see if it sticks for that user?

As far as I know changes made to a power plan will affect all users that have chosen the same power plan as their default ,  So if you choose a different plan, and it works for that user, then perhaps creating a new user may be your only answer.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:13 AM

I really appreciate your help.. Restored default for both settings, and redid the powercfg.exe just to be safe, but still the same.

I also did the powercfg.exe for the computer that went blank after a minute, but it just started refreshing the screen after every minute, the same as the original computer..

I have use powercfg command on my own laptop and i have no issue the display does get turn off every 20 second as i have configured with powercfg command line.  Try setting the to number zero and reboot and check if the issue resolved i have set my laptop to Windows 1o default seconds which is 60 seconds you can also test how will your computer acts when the default 60 seconds is use to turn off display. Can i ask why are you setting the when to turn off monitor so high value.?

May i also learn why in first place you start playing with lock screen time out setting and was the issue present before you have change the time out value to turn off connected monitor?

I'm not sure as you have not make it clear that the timeout value when configured using powercfg command line works or not does the monitor display is turn off  at the time limit you have configured monitor to turn off?

Are you telling me two computers with different hardware  have the same issue with monitor flashing?

Posted Image

#12 princecanthony

princecanthony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Very weird. For some reason it works now!!!! Thank you so much you are amazing!!! :thumbup2:

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:35 AM

Very weird. For some reason it works now!!!! Thank you so much you are amazing!!! :thumbup2:

You are very welcome!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users