Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help finding compatible external cd DVD drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rgh001

Rgh001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

I bought a NEW Dell 15.6 Touch Screen AMD Quad Core 8GB 1TB HDD HDMI Win8.1 i5545-6500slv computer. What external dvd/cd burners are compatible with this computer? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:03 PM

I've used many different units connected to an external SATA/PATA drive bay and connects to USB.  It is used as a diagnostic tool or to recover info from a drive out of another unit.  Works for any accessory with SATA/PATA interface.  The unit I use also had IDE interface so is good for testing.

Edited by mjd420nova, 22 August 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:11 PM

I bought a NEW Dell 15.6 Touch Screen AMD Quad Core 8GB 1TB HDD HDMI Win8.1 i5545-6500slv computer. What external dvd/cd burners are compatible with this computer? Thank you!

In theory, any USB external optical burner drive would work.

About the only potential issue is whether or not the drive requires too much power from the USB port if driven by power from the USB power and that all USB ports do not necessarily output the same power level. Of course, if the USB optical drive that you are looking at requires a high amount of power, then they should supply a USB "Y" cable so that you can get power from two USB ports. Or just pick one that has an external power brick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users