Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Changed User Login w/o Permission & Hidden Network?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Semi-Novice

Semi-Novice

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hi All!

So sorry to be a pest. I really thought my days of self-induced baldness were over. I used several search terms and couldn't find this topic. Hopefully, I'm not creating extra work for anyone.

I've been organizing 1000s of files for a project. The metadata in the photos was giving me tons of trouble. Windows was fighting with Corel for control, so I got the bright idea to see if I could manage it through the Windows 10 photo app.

It acted as if I needed to sign in with an MSN account, so I did. It froze {after it was totally useless...typical}, so I restarted the 'puter.

SURPRISE!! My only choices were the Admin account, that severely limits which apps I can use, and the MSN account I used to sign in to the photo app...that login will be used over my dead body {which may be soon if I can't get this Windows garbage straightened out}!

The files are intact for my local user account, but I can't access it through the the new Windows 10 settings menu, or the Control Panel/User Account Settings--when I try to "add someone else" it just briefly flashes a blank screen.

Signed in as "Administrator", looking at the document properties, only the MSN and Admin accounts are listed--and one other that looks like a string of nonsensical letters, and disappears. If I go to:  /security/add user, the original local. non-administrator account isn't available at all, and a bunch of other accounts have been added. {screen shots attached}.

In whatever screen {can't remember and I'm totally disoriented at this point}, it wouldn't let me change from signing in using a roaming account to a local one.

It's already hogging enough resources and invading my privacy, I really don't want to log in with an MSN account. What happens if I just delete the @hotmail.com user? Will it revert to the original local and admin accounts at sign in {like I honestly believe the solution is that easy}?

Also, I don't think it's related, but we've been having a lot of trouble with the internet dropping out for several days. My son discovered an authentication error on the tablet and, for some reason, correcting it on the tablet cured the PC issues as well. However, when the problem began, we started seeing a "hidden network" that is intermittently secured and open {I wasn't dumb enough to sign in}. I'm assuming one of the local businesses added it. I can't be certain. I ran MiniToolBox, and didn't see any hijacked connections, but I'm absolutely not an expert.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! THANKS!!

B. Paulsen

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users