Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3.2GHz 4 Core i5 Running @ 0.77GHz

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gehbeh

gehbeh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:00 PM

Hey there,

I am utterly at a loss as to the cause of this issue and I shall attempt to explain it in as much detail and with as much transparency as possible. I shall add additional info as needed. Thank you for your help!

Yesterday (8/21/2016) I launched Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and began playing only to discover that my game was running very slowly. I noted that it was pulling a tenth of my average frames; 30fps as apposed to 300fps+. So, I quit CS:GO and ran through a list of things in my head that it could be. My first thought was my video drivers which I hadn't updated in a while. So, I pulled up Geforce.com and installed the latest drivers for my 970. When this didn't seem to help I opened up Task Manager only to find my CPU running at 0.77GHz versus the 3.38GHz I normally get. (As a note here, I am not intentionally overclocking. I'm sure you are much more informed than I am in this area, but is my CPU being overclocked automatically by my motherboard for some abstract reason or is 106% cpu speeds not unheard of?) I googled the problem and found plenty of "My cpu is running @ 1GHz pls HELP!!!" threads with the popular answer being that they/I had fried my cpu. So, I installed CPUID HWMoniter and checked my CPU heat which was at 20° C. So, I closed everything and restarted my pc, still no change. I opened CS:GO again and checked my settings to make sure everything was fine, double checked my heat. Reopened task manager and finally looked at power settings, only to find everything the same as always on high performance mode. At a loss I opened up TeamSpeak and was about to join a channel when suddenly everything went back up to 3.3GHz. I got back into CS:GO and everything continued nominally, and that was the end of that, or so I thought.

Today when I logged onto my pc I browsed Reddit and surfed around a bit before opening up Steam and launching CS:GO yet again. Everything was running normally up to this point. The same as before I got in a game only to find my frames heavily discounted. Exiting the game again, I launched Task Manager and saw that my CPU was running at 0.77GHz, one quarter of my CPU capabilities again. I restarted my pc a couple times, asked around to my friends and otherwise simulated yesterday's procedure to no avail. All of my cores are being utilized, but only to a quarter. I ran a Malwarebytes scan with no results, and I can discover no anomalies on my own.

Attached is a DxDiag I ran and system details. Any and all help is appreciated Thank you!

CPU
Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard
MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151

RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400

Storage
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+

OS
Windows 10 Anniversary Update 64-bit

Attached Files

Edited by gehbeh, 21 August 2016 - 09:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

(As a note here, I am not intentionally overclocking. I'm sure you are much more informed than I am in this area, but is my CPU being overclocked automatically by my motherboard for some abstract reason or is 106% cpu speeds not unheard of?)

The i5-6500 clocks 3.2GHz as reported by DXDiag, but can Turbo boost up up 3.6GHz on demand:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88184/Intel-Core-i5-6500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

I installed CPUID HWMoniter and checked my CPU heat which was at 20C°.

At what room temperature? Unless you have a freezing room, that CPU temp reading has to be wrong. What CPU temperature is reported in the BIOS?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

I believe I was mistaken. As of right now it is reporting that each of the cores are at 21-23° C but the package is at 27° C

Edited by gehbeh, 21 August 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

Is that still the software diagnostic report? In that case I would think it's either misreading the board (which happens)or there is something going wrong with the CPU. Is there a temperature readout given in the BIOS? That is the one that should be correct.

#5 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

The BIOS reports a CPU temp of 26° C and a speed of 0.8GHz

Edited by gehbeh, 21 August 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:19 PM

Figures that don't make sense never give you a good feeling. Is the CPU cooling just standard factory cooler?

#7 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (I knew there was a part I forgot in my specs)

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:37 PM

Are you able to get sufficient access to check whether the temperature of the CPU block and heatpipes correspond with that figure? Either by fingertip or an IR thermometer?

Maybe someone with that board could confirm whether it's standard for the CPU to idle when displaying the BIOS screen, that could be normal, but I can't say for sure.

#9 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

Well, I'm not an expert but according to my finger-nomiter the heatpipes are around 26-28° C (maybe even cooler)

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

That's very strange... I recommend clearing your CMOS by removing the watch battery at the center of the motherboard while the PC is off for a few seconds.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Intel CPU's have various power saving technologies, including SpeedStep that cause them to clock down when CPU power is not needed.  For example in my system using an i5-4570K, the CPU normally runs at 800 mhz when browsing normal web pages or running office software (with occasional spikes up to full speed (3.4 Ghz) or turbo speed (set to 4.2 Ghz in BIOS).

vV8QzVS.png

When the speed is required (e.g. running a game or anything processor intensive) it clocks up to the turbo speed.  Try running something that loads up the processor (Prime95 or re-encoding a video using software like Handbrake is ideal) and observe the clock speed.

This is intended behavior to reduce power consumption and to keep temperatures down. You can however change this in the BIOS by disabling Speedstep (EIST).  However, personally I think this is not the best option in most cases as it runs the CPU at full speed all the time, meaning higher power consumption and temps.

If it is clocking down when a game is actually running, then you could try changing the Windows power management mode.  It's normally set to "balanced" by default, changing to the max performance option will use less aggressive power saving options.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

That's very strange... I recommend clearing your CMOS by removing the watch battery at the center of the motherboard while the PC is off for a few seconds.

Thank you for the advice, I'll try that as soon as possible!

Intel CPU's have various power saving technologies, including SpeedStep that cause them to clock down when CPU power is not needed.  For example in my system using an i5-4570K, the CPU normally runs at 800 mhz when browsing normal web pages or running office software (with occasional spikes up to full speed (3.4 Ghz) or turbo speed (set to 4.2 Ghz in BIOS).

If it is clocking down when a game is actually running, then you could try changing the Windows power management mode.  It's normally set to "balanced" by default, changing to the max performance option will use less aggressive power saving options.

The CPU seems to be capped at all times, not just when idling. I am using the High Performance option.

#13 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hi - This used to happen to my laptop when the battery wasn't in correctly, or the charger was half in. I recommend making sure all power cables are connected inside and outside the PC.

After researching this issue, I come across this thread on tomshardware, it may help you.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3162687/cpu-core-speed-stuck-80ghz-6600k.html

The comment you should look at (this was the answer to the OP's question who had the same issue) :

two more hopeful options:

https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFA...
alternatively:

>>>
Philip_32 said:
Guys i Was facing the same issue, Here is how i solved it .

-Open the Al suite go to the tab EPU

-Then on performance tab UNCHECK the "Enable Away Mode"

-Do the same on The Power saving tab.

Problem solved back to 3.6 MHZ

Edited by Voidz, 22 August 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#14 gehbeh

gehbeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:17 PM

After researching this issue, I come across this thread on tomshardware, it may help you.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3162687/cpu-core-speed-stuck-80ghz-6600k.html

Wow, thank you! After reading that thread I found the setting in BIOS that was causing the issue. I'm back to normal speeds now. Thank you all so much for your help!

#15 Voidz

Voidz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'm glad I could be of help. If you have anymore questions or need anymore help, feel free to post another thread. Happy gaming!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users