Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process" Windows 7 startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zaeres

zaeres

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with Microsoft Security Essentials as antivirus. Starting about 9 months ago when I would plug in a USB flashdrive my laptop would display this message and restart "Windows must now restart because the Plug and Play service terminated unexpectedly". Only happened when I plugged in a USB flashdrive. External hard drives worked no problem. My laptop then started to BSOD every once in awhile. Then after awhile it got to the point where it would only stay on for a few hours before the BSOD. Then 3 weeks ago it started displaying this message on startup of Windows "Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly". After 20 seconds Windows would restart. I'm unable to do anything in Windows longer than 20 seconds. I have backed up my important files using a Live Ubuntu USB so I'm good on that. Help me Bleeping Computer, you're my only hope. 

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2016 - 05:26 AM.
Moved from AII to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:33 AM

Laptop manufacturer and model?

If issues began 9 months ago...;it seems likely that it will be very difficult to troubleshoot such now, especially if you can run Windows properly.

I suggest that a good start would be to try to restore the system to factory defaults...or remove the hard drive and connect it in another system (as a secondary drive) and see if that system is able to read the drive.

Louis

#3 zaeres

zaeres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hey, Louis. Thanks for the help and quick response. 

Laptop manufacturer: Alienware

Model: M9700 Series

Laptop is from 2007. 

I was going to do a fresh install, but I wanted to see if my current installation was salvageable first. Just wanted to save myself the hassle as I'm going to be building a new PC soon.

I don't have another computer to connect the HD to. That being said I believe the HD is fine as I was able to use a Live Ubuntu USB to backup my current files. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

FWIW:  A hard drive doesn't necessarily die all at once...nor does the ability to backup files mean anything other than the fact that files can be accessed and appear to be copied intact.  I've copies files hard drives which had problems...copied them to another drive...but when I tried to read or use those files, a significant portion proved to be corrupt and useless.  If you don't have access to another system...what did you copy that backup to?

IMO, you need to make some effort to validate your opinion that the hard drive...and the backup you think that you made...are actually useable.

Once/if that is done...that would be the time to simply restore the system to factory defaults.  Forget that...this system appears to only have had XP as the native install.  There is also some indication that the system may not be appropriate for Win 7 installs, see Link

Louis

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:44 AM

Just a quick thought....since that lap is from 2007, and you are considering a fresh install, before you do that make very sure that you have the mainboard and chipset drivers for that laptop, or at least download them from Alienware's website first. Alienware is known for top-performance computer, and may have installed components that require dedicated drivers, and if you do a fresh install it will wipe everything. If you have a dedicated restore partition, or have an image backup of the original installation you are fine, but if you don't I suggest you get those drivers first before you do anything.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 zaeres

zaeres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Once again thanks for the advice, Louis. 

I copied the backup to an external hd using Ubuntu Live USB.

I was able to use another laptop to check the integrity of the copied files. The most important files are valid and in seemingly working order. 

Thank you for the link about windows 7 being installed on my laptop. I will be performing a fresh install of windows 7 32 bit as I have done that in the past and it has worked fine. 

Wish me luck. 

#7 zaeres

zaeres
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:59 AM

@ranchhand_

Thanks for the great advice. I actually did download all of the drivers years ago so I'm good on that front.

Thank you for the input. :)

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

If it is a 2007 HD it is doing a "Wing & a Prayer" :rip:

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic