Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7-Appears infected, some sites not available

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 whatisavailable

whatisavailable

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hi

I'm posting this for my sister's neighbor. 

We have a Windows 7 desktop that was running slow and would not access any site other than cnn.com or other news sites.

It had Norton 360 on it and an error was saying it did not have updated signatures.

We ran MalwareBytes on the computer and it cleaned up quite a bit.

We couldn't get around the Norton 360 error so we uninstalled it and installed Avast.  Many things were found and removed by Avast.

However, after booting up in safe mode and attempting to clean it up (all with her doing the work since I can't even remote into it) we are posting here for help!

Since the computer will not access many sites, including bleepingcomputer.com, we will need to download any programs from another computer to a USB drive and run them.

We even tried to purchase a new program but she couldn't find any local sources, only keys with internet downloading. Not helpful in this case.

She just attempted to go to bing.com and got the following error:

This page can't be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to

https://www.bing.com again.  If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details) which is not considered secure. Please

contact your site administrator.

Also, Avast popped up a small window in the lower right saying that the site certificate was invalid.  It does this for many sites, not just for the above.

We will not do anything else to the computer until we hear back.

Thank you for your help!!

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:16 PM

Hi, with thisinfection we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide start at step 6 and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 whatisavailable

whatisavailable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks.  We downloaded the 64bit version and will post the logs asap.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Ok

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/624390/windows-7-appears-infected-most-sites-not-available-invalid-certificate-errors/

Closing this one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users