Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Main router wifi turns off when an access point is connected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 superking75

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

So I have an old router (d-link Dir-655) that I have made into an access point for a dead spot in my home. I had connected it to my main router (provided by Comcast TG862G), with a short cat5e cable to test it out before I get it all set in place.

It works great at first but then 5-10ish minutes later I notice that the Wifi has turned off on the main router. Is there a reason for this, and how is it fixed?

P,S, I have the channels and the ssid different so I know which one I'm connected to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Do you have the TG862G bridged? If so, the wifi SHOULD turn off. That's because the gateway is taking the internet and sending it direct to your D-link router. 

How will the D-link router and Arris gateway be connected in final solution? If ethernet, then the D-link needs to be set up as a AP. See here for instructions(Furry is a friend). If the connection between Arris gateway and D-link will be wireless, then you need to use WDS. Note: WDS has problems on some hardware version and/or firmware versions and other routers. Some only work with WEP while others seriously effect throughput. Ethernet would be optimal. If you do use AP mode, make sure the Arris wifi and D-link wifi are on different channels and not too close to each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users