Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 single short beep on start up and nothing - does not get to BIOS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 netrate

netrate

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

The computer was running fine before, had a windows issue (and resolved it) and now the computer does not boot at all. 
Asus F1A75 M Pro/CSM - built in video card
8 gigs of ram
AMD A4-3400

What happens: 
-the computer starts up
-the monitor seems to be picked up and the green light on the monitor goes on
-there is a short shrill beep
-nothing happens, the monitor is blank
-it is SSD, so I can't hear if the HD is working or not.
-There is a red light on the mobo when booting near the power supply cables (it goes off after a few second)

-The green light on the MOBO goes on and stays on. 
-Also, if I remove the KEYBOARD and MOUSE, I get a beep indicating that after the short beep.

Not sure what the issue is. I have tried :
-rebooting - many times
-pulling out the battery on the bios for 2 minutes
-remove the RAM and trying them in new combination
-I tried an old video card and that does not fix the issue either.

Any recommendations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

You have an open malware topic at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623807/am-i-infected/ .

I suggest that you complete that before opening any new topics...if you are referring to same system in both topics.

Louis

#3 netrate

netrate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

The computer doesn't even boot or get to the bios, so I can't complete any malware check or anything. This occurred almost immediately after I posted the malware issue. What should I do?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

When the system doesn't boot....there are only a few things which can be done, IMO.

If the cause of the non-boot is hardware...there are multiple candidates which can be tested by replacement (temporary).  The hard drive, the motherboard, the PSU...these would be my primary targets.

Windows may cause a system not to boot into Windows...but Windows cannot have any impact on the ability to see the BIOS, since the BIOS should be able to be accessed anytime the system is without component fault.

IMO...lights on a system may have meaning for some but they have no meaning for me.  If I can hear but cannot see...suspect is the video card/chip or motherboard.  If I get no sign of life, suspect is PSU.  I can't tell anything from lights, with the exception of the monitor light onscreen.

Let's wait for some opinions from those members with a wider set of experiences and knowledge than I possess.  Be patient :).

Louis

#5 netrate

netrate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

I am patient for sure, it is my dad that isn't! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users