Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windowavalert.com pop-up Can't click open new windows

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

I'm new here. Firstly, thank you to anyone who can help me! I'm not very computer-savvy at all. Any help you can give would be so appreciated!

I'm using Windows 10 and Windows Defender.

About a month ago, one of my friends had her facebook account hacked and they posted something. I mistakenly clicked on it. Nothing happened at the time but I ran Windows Defender just in case. It didn't find anything. 

A few days ago I got a pop up that said:

windowavalert.com

Error#361f$

It said my computer is infected and I need to call Microsoft right away to fix it. It gave this number: 877-761-8011 and said my fb login, credit card number, email account login, and photos had been compromised. 

I couldn't close the window so I hit cntr+alt+del and ended the task. 

Today, my mouse wheel has stopped working. I have to use the side bar to scroll up or down and I can't open a new browser window by clicking on icons. I have to highlight it and drag it to the menu bar. 

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to BC....

Did the mouse problem show up after the Windows 10 Anniversary update?

I doubt the ad with the phone number....a criminal's ad....is related to the mouse problem. Use the programs below to remove

adware, malware and to clean up the computer.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

You can go to Device Manager to check if there is problem with Mouse driver. If there is a yellow mark next to the mouse device, the driver is not working properly.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:30 PM

Do I download the CCleaner free version or the professional free trial?

I don't think there was an update last night. 

Edited by carbonfiberlancer, 21 August 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:52 PM

The free version.

#6 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 8/21/2016
Scan Time: 2:55 PM
Logfile: MBAMLOG.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.2.1.1043
Malware Database: v2016.08.21.08
Rootkit Database: v2016.08.15.01
License: Trial
Malware Protection: Enabled
Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: madem

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 305103
Time Elapsed: 6 min, 11 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#7 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:12 PM

# AdwCleaner v6.000 - Logfile created 21/08/2016 at 15:09:57
# Updated on 12/08/2016 by ToolsLib
# Database : 2016-08-21.2 [Server]
# Operating System : Windows 10 Home  (X64)
# Username : madem - DESKTOP-CTK8O4S
# Running from : C:\Users\madem\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

[-] Task deleted: LaunchApp

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [768 Bytes] - [21/08/2016 15:09:57]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1128 Bytes] - [21/08/2016 15:09:32]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [913 Bytes] ##########

#8 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:19 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.7 (07.03.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 
Ran by madem (Administrator) on Sun 08/21/2016 at 15:16:47.18

File System: 0 

Registry: 1 

Successfully deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\\GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_A9CB4FC5F082396D3F56FAE8F863455D (Registry Value) 

Scan was completed on Sun 08/21/2016 at 15:17:59.40
End of JRT log

#9 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

C:\Users\madem\Downloads\JustCloud_WebInstaller.exe a variant of MSIL/MyPCBackup.H potentially unwanted application deleted

#10 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

I went to the Device Manager and followed the instructions. It says my mouse is working right. Could it be the wheel just wore out?

Edited by carbonfiberlancer, 21 August 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

Try another mouse...they aren't that expensive if you don't have another handy...or borrow one. If another mouse has the same problem,

ask for advice in the Windows 10 Forum here at BC.

Those ads could of been the result of a hacked website, adware or a legit ad server. Two things you can do prevent

those ads is to use an ad blocker and blocking the install of third party cookies aka ad/ tracking cookies.

Adblock Plus works in Firefox and Google Chrome. Download from Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store and Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Once you have disable the install of the third party cookies....run CCleaner to delete the existing ones.

Other than that....happy surfin'

#12 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:58 PM

It was the mouse! Luckily, I had a backup. Wow, that Adblock Plus works great! YouTube is enjoyable again, lol. Thank you so much for your help! You are awesome!!!! 

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:21 AM

Good....Adblock Plus allows some ads by default. You can block those by clicking on the ABP icon and choosing Filter preferences.

UNcheck Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

You're welcome.....

#14 carbonfiberlancer

carbonfiberlancer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

Okay, I did that. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users