Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for Anti-virus, malware software advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

Hi all,

This past week has been really a wake up call for me - I know very little about computer files and settings that are detected by anti-malware software and determining if files found are harmless when removed or will cause problems if deleted either immediately or shortly after removal.

I have a custom built computer that I built about 9 years ago and this past week, I had used RogueKiller to remove a bunch of files that were deemed to be dangerous if left alone - I've had blue screens occur and freezing of videos online, so I did the malware check - thought RogueKiller was a good program to use - a program that would warn me if a file about to be deleted could harm my Windows 10 operating system or settings.  After deleting all the files it found, my computer had no issues until the following day after a blue screen event - once it rebooted, I was no longer able to get online.  I spent over a day trying everything I could think of to get back online, finally I did a system restore from over 8 days ago which got me back online. 

Saturday, I went to Best buy and purchased a new Graphics card as the one currently installed was using a Windows 10 Driver and was not supported by the manufacturer which made it cause blue screens from time to time.  I also got a new DVD RW drive as my current one wouldn't open the tray without assistance.

I currently use Avast Internet Security for my antivirus and firewall for my 3 computers and since joining here a couple days ago, I've seen people on here are not happy with Avast - I've had no issues up til now with Avast, but since finding "malware" on my computer, it seems Avast let me down - I thought Avast was keeping my computer safe.  I've never had infections with viruses and suspicious websites have been blocked by Avast Firewall, but after reading about Avast on here and finding malware on my computer, I'm thinking of switching as my Avast subscription expires in less than 30 days.

I need an Anti-Virus program to cover my 3 computers - my main PC and 2 laptops for business - with a excellent firewall to protect them from attacks, yet be affordable and reliable.  I used to use Zonealarm for my Firewall, but had a few infections that got through that firewall - besides the malware, I haven't had a virus infection since using Avast for my protection.

Should I stay with Avast or switch to another program?  I'm looking for advice on programs to protect my computer from any and all threats and also if I have a threat, help quash the threat without allowing me to corrupt Windows or settings in the process.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:01 PM

Many ISPs offer a suite of programs with the home page.  Kaspercy, MacAfee, and Norton the most common.  I feel they are your front line of defense and would have better control over the traffic in either direction.  Malwarebytes leads the way in the most up to date and easiest to use malware program.  All this is an opinion collected from users and decades of servicing mainframes to PCs and their peripherals. 

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:41 PM

Hi:

You ask a common question with no "right" or "best answer" that suits all computers, users and budgets.

When asked, 100 computer users will offer at least 110 passionate opinions. :)

You might wish to start with @quietman7's comprehensive articles/tutorials here:

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

And especially:

Choosing an Anti-virus Program

Hope this helps,

MM

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Yes, avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.Here are links to some related discussion topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users