Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bing doesn't know Melbourne is in Australia.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

bing_mistake_melbourne.jpg?x=648&y=348&c

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

We're actually building an artificial island there...akin to chinas island building in the south china sea,,,,

We thought we'd pop a major city there as well....just to **** them off !!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

So much for me driving there next week.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

This just proves that Australia is moving North, just a bit faster than you all thought. Perhaps Condobloke should have the title of his topic changed to 'You knew you were in Australia . . .' ?

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 August 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: ... nice one Chris

But seriously folks ... it's a "sister city" thing.

The city of Sendai on the east coast of Japan's main island Honshu became a sister city to Melbourne in 2003.

Then the secret talks began to swap the cities over. Seems many of the Japanese Sendai City Council had attended the Sydney Olympic Games, and thought they were getting Sydney.

The change took place in November 2015, the one month of the year when Melbourne does not have crap weather. Nobody noticed because it was not Grand Final week of the footie.

The Japanese think they are at home because they like sushi, which is popular in Melbourne, and every second car is a Japanese car (also they are left-hand drive)

The Melbournites think they are at home because

• The trendies eat sushi and seaweed crackers all the time and
  • The rest of the populace think they are eating Chinese food, but without the MSG

Sounds like win-win.

Problems might arise when some of the more educated Melbournites finish reading an article "What are tectonic plates and am I crap if they shift?", and the Trendies finish learning the outcome to "What is tsunami, and can I spread wasabi paste on it?"

Cheers, sorry, sayonara

:wizardball: Wizard

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

"What is tsunami, and can I spread wasabi paste on it?"

They might just find out quicker than you think. Isn't the location given by Bing very close to the origin point of the tsunami that flattened a significant chunk of the Eastern Japanese seaboard in 2011 ?

Chris Cosgrove

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Dunno, could be.

Maybe the Sendai-ites had the right idea moving to Melbourne's spot. Effects of a tsunami there would be reduced because Tasmania would cop it first.

The Japanese will likely find out first, when they plug in a road trip to Melbourne (which they think is Sydney) into their automobile GPS, and what should be a 900km trip simply takes them around the block, or worse, into the CBD.

:wizardball:

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

Also according to bing: Joseph. A Bank is a bank (it's a suit store here in the US.)

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:35 PM

Apparently this seriously mobile habit of Australia is still causing problems, according to a story I saw in 'The Register' today an Air Asia flight landed in Melbourne instead of its intended destination iin Malaysia :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/air_asia_x_navigation_system_typo_melbourne_malaysia/

It has to be said that the error was down to the aircraft captain who entered the wrong starting location into the aircraft navigation system. How long has GIGO been around ?  And it is still happening ?

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

On a lighter note....spend some time in an airport lounge gazing out across the tarmac....and you will generally note that air asias fleet stand out....they look to be of lesser quality than most other major airlines....

Those that fly in and out of the Philippines will know what I mean.

Th term "rustbucket" comes to mind....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users