Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Acrobat Reader for vista......

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 magicshaw

magicshaw

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:33 AM

Where can I get Acrobat Reader for vista ??

I had Acrobat Reader x which I uninstalled a while ago due to some plugin crashes with firefox.

I see on adobe download site the option for Vista on the dropdown menu is not there :-(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:50 AM

The Win 7 version will probably work just fine. The systems are mostly compatible.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:56 AM

Firefox has its own pdf viewer. If that is all you need Adobe Reader for is to read pdf files then give the Firefox viewer a try before installing Reader.

The setting for using the Firefox viewer may need reactivating. Check the settings.

1. Click the menu button 2014-01-10-13-08-08-f52b8c.png and choose Options.
  2. Select the Applications panel on the left.
  3. Check "Preview in Firefox" is set for "Portable Document Format (PDF)" -- if not, change it to this.

Another option....Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

Sumatra PDF is a free PDF, eBook (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) reader for Windows.

Sumatra PDF is powerful, small, portable and starts up very fast.

Simplicity of the user interface has a high priority.

Edited by buddy215, 21 August 2016 - 07:33 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

Where can I get Acrobat Reader for vista ??

I had Acrobat Reader x which I uninstalled a while ago due to some plugin crashes with firefox.

I see on adobe download site the option for Vista on the dropdown menu is not there :-(

You don't see an option for Vista at the Acrobat Reader download site because Adobe Reader X was their last product to officially support Vista, and it is no longer supported.

When you uninstalled Reader X, did you run AcroCleaner for 10.x and later (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html)? For some reason Adobe Reader is as difficult to completely remove as an antivirus.

I can tell you that Adobe Reader XI works just fine on my Vista PC despite the lack of official support, and you can get a Reader 11.0.10 installer by lying about your operating system at the Acrobat Reader download site. The built-in updater does not give me any updates, but I have downloaded and applied the latest 11.0.17 cumulative patch: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=6082.

If that sounds a little scary, the alternatives suggested by buddy215 make more sense than hunting for a 4-year-old Reader X installer - but I could find that if you wish.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

There are plenty of other PDF viewers out there - Foxit and PDF Viewer to name but two - you don't have to use Adobe Reader. Just google 'PDF readers'.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 magicshaw

magicshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

There are plenty of other PDF viewers out there - Foxit and PDF Viewer to name but two - you don't have to use Adobe Reader. Just google 'PDF readers'.

Chris Cosgrove

Which are best for vista ??

By downloading a PDF Viewer, will the saved PDF files show up in my PC ??

Once i uninstalled my Acrobat reader. All PDF files don't show up.

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:39 PM

Foxit Reader has also ended support for Vista. PDF Viewer appears to be an Android app and Chrome plugin - but of course Chrome has ended support for Vista. Some Vista users have reported success with Sumatra (see buddy215's post above), but I haven't tried it myself because I'm happily using Adobe Reader XI on Vista.

#8 magicshaw

magicshaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:13 AM

Where can I get Adobe Reader XI ??

#9 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

Where can I get Adobe Reader XI ??

Assuming you have run AcroCleaner for 10.x (see post #4), I would go to https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/  and download the offline installer for Reader 11.0.10 (not DC). You will have to select Windows 7 (or higher) in Step 1 due to the lack of official support for Vista. It is a good idea to restart the PC before installation. Be sure to right-click and select "run as administrator." I have already mentioned how to update to the latest 11.0.17 in post #4.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

My personal choice for a .pdf reader is PDF-XChange Editor which replaced PDF-XChange Reader

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Note: The FREE download of the PDF-XChange Editor may be used without limitation for Private, Commercial, Government and all uses, provided it is not: incorporated or distributed for profit/commercial gain with other software or media distribution of any type - without first gaining permission.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP or later*

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 gabrielenams

gabrielenams

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

1. watch the video installing adobe reader on windows vista by MIAMA URSC.
2. Follow the steps below :
3. Note that only 11.00 will work for some vista users. Please choose the file extension of - .exe AND NOT .msi - for uk users.

subject : To install Adobe version 11.00 in english for windows vista, go to.
1. ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.00/en_US/
2. choose : [parent directory]
AdbeRdr11000_en_US.exe 36.1 MB 9/24/12, 12:00:00 AM

3. It will take some long time and it will install.

Mr. Gee Gab.

#12 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:48 PM

Foxit Reader has also ended support for Vista. PDF Viewer appears to be an Android app and Chrome plugin - but of course Chrome has ended support for Vista. Some Vista users have reported success with Sumatra (see buddy215's post above), but I haven't tried it myself because I'm happily using Adobe Reader XI on Vista.

Not seem so.  Foxit allowed me to take product update about a month ago, under the use of Windows Vista.

Sumatra might be a useful alternative for some people.

#13 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

Since this thread has been resurrected, at https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ you must now select Server 2008 as your operating system to get an Adobe Reader 11.0.10 installer, which was the last Reader XI installer issued by Adobe (although patches as high as 11.0.23 can be applied). I never used the older version that gabrielnams recommends for Vista (I was still using Reader X when that version appeared in the year 2012), and perhaps not everyone would want the English version.

Not seem so.  Foxit allowed me to take product update about a month ago, under the use of Windows Vista.

Sumatra might be a useful alternative for some people.

Yes, others have also told me that recent versions of Foxit Reader still work on Vista, even though Vista has not been listed in Foxit Reader's system requirements as a supported system for a few years now. It might therefore be more secure than Adobe Reader XI when used as a browser plugin.

#14 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:56 AM

PDF-Xchange Viewer, and for use on Vista, is still providing updates.  Mine is now brought up from v 2.5.322.7 to v 2.5.322.8 tonight.  The website said a few weeks ago to be discontinuing PDF-Xchange viewer, but apparantly not yet for the updates.

#15 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 462 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:13 AM

PDF-Xchange Viewer, and for use on Vista, is still providing updates.  Mine is now brought up from v 2.5.322.7 to v 2.5.322.8 tonight.  The website said a few weeks ago to be discontinuing PDF-Xchange viewer, but apparantly not yet for the updates.

Hi cafejose:

I manually updated to PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.322.8 six months ago in January 2018, and Tracker Software employee Patrick posted in my thread Tracker Updater Does Not Detect v2.5.322.8 Update Available that PDF-XChange Viewer has been "discontinued and will receive no more updates beyond 2.5.322.8".

PDF-XChange Viewer has now been replaced by the newer PDF-XChange Editor (https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor). The new software has a few extra features that I don't really need but it's still free for home consumers and still compatible with Win XP and higher. A good choice for a free PDF viewer from a reputable company.

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security v22.14.2.13 * PDF-XChange Editor v7.0.325.1
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Edited by lmacri, 27 June 2018 - 07:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users