Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i have wrecked my new computer with network wizard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 arewtee

arewtee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:24 AM

ok i just got a new xp professional machine yesterday.

each of my computers has its own ethernet wire going to the broadband modem.

i thought i remembered using the network wizard to allow the new machine to be able to use my broadband modem from the last time i added a computer to my collection.

now in the network connections there is a internet gateway listed that says unconnected and also local area connection and has my modems name on it and says connected.

of course i cant use the internet in internet explorer i reset the defaults in IE.

does anyone know how to fix the mess i made?

do i need a network on each computer to allow more than one computer to use the modem at the same  time or was that something i misunderstood when i put the second one on the modem and read up to see if i was going to have an issue.

i am the only user so i dont need any of these to pass the internet through one to make the net available to all of them.

any help is greatly apreciated since i just can not grasp the concepts of networking and what windows does or does not do or want.

everything i read in all the places during my extensive google searching sounds like blah blah its beyond me i just need to know if its fixable and how please dont bother with why my brain is frozen eyes glazing over...

i built a few of my computers i am smart this is a place where i just am unable to grasp this subject

thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2016 - 03:34 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

If you have all your Computers on a "Network" thats a bit more complicated.

If you have as you say , all computers connect to the Modem { Via Ports or Router } just for Internet.

Then as i do when fixing customer Pcs i just use any port available on Modem/ Router { It will just assign a IP }

When and if you get the Pop Up for - is this a Home Network / Private / etc just click Cancel.

For you if the Above is Correct - use System Restore for last good working point / reboot and then just connect the Ethernet Cable.

Hope this is what you require if not , what are the other PCs ? all XP or some Win 7.

Are you networking them all together ?

#3 arewtee

arewtee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:38 AM

hi there

thanks for your reply

there is no network or router just a modem with 4 plugs as i stated in my post clearly

i dont know what a port is or an ip is or anything about assigning them its over my head

i dont remember if i got a pop up or why i would get one or what it said but now its done  how do i fix it?

its a used computer and there's no system restore points at all i do not have the windows xp cd

what you are saying to try to help me sounds like the blah blah i read on my google searches is there some step 1 2 3 instructions i dont have to understand

i read somewhere more than a year ago when i got my second computer (windows 7) something about sharing a modem with each having a cable required a network to be established on each computer thats why i set one on the other 2 but i cant remember where i saw it or why or how i did it i wish i could find that site.

i have 1 windows 7 machine and 2 xp hooked to the modem

i hope some info in this reply can help someone prevent my new computer turning into a doorstop since thats all it is from here on out since i cant afford to buy a windows cd a 50 computer to replace this one in a year or 2 of saving up is all i have to look forward to

thanks again for trying

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

what you are saying to try to help me sounds like the blah blah i read on my google searches is there some step 1 2 3 instructions i dont have to understand

Unfortunately, if you don't want to understand, then it's going to be an uphill struggle even to explain simple 1,2,3 type steps to you; you have to at least know what it is you're doing, simply to implement them.

It's a mind-set I can sympathise with. Many folks haven't got a clue what goes on under the hood of their automobile; they just want it to start, and go, when they turn the key. It's perfectly understandable. But with these things, a certain basic level of comprehension is taken for granted. 

If, as you say, you have built your own systems before now, then understanding networking is a piece of cake in comparison. Many 'systems' experts are completely lost when confronted by the prospect of attempting what you have yourself done. Give yourself some credit; you cannot be as 'dimwitted' as you are making yourself out to be.....!  :P

Somebody should be able to help out with this one. Networking was never my strong point, either.....but I managed it in XP Pro for nearly 14 years. I confess, I've not heard of the type of set-up you're describing. I take it you're on dial-up still, rather than broadband?

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 August 2016 - 02:53 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 arewtee

arewtee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:02 PM

hi there

i enjoyed your post very much!

very encouraging

i find the internet, modems (mod-demmodulator) and networks murky and mysterious

i am using the other xp machine thats working internet to post here on my dsl modem

and my windows 7 machine acesses the net without trouble too

i looked in the xp machines user name to see if this one is in a network or i made one for it and it hints a little at what i did but its barely anything

theres a workgroup listed but in the network connections there is only one listed not that internet gateway like on the messed up xp macxhine

i have not looked at the windows 7 machine to see if it has a workgroup or if it has a name but if it would help i can

i hope you have suggestions

thanks again

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi again, arewtee.

Hell, man; don't go getting the impression that I'm an 'expert', 'cos I'm not..!  :P

I'm perhaps what you might call 'handy' with my OS of choice, which these days is Puppy Linux.....but when it came to Windows (XP or otherwise), I was pretty much as lost as anybody else!

'Murky and mysterious'. No, you're not wrong. Networking is a 'murky' business.....to me, at least. I understand the basics of it, but like most people, I don't understand why it is that the system makes some of the choices that it does. In Linux, at least, you get to see what the choices are (and you do at least get told why).....but Windows has always hidden the mechanics of setting up your internet connection. I believe Microsoft think that most people just don't want to know what's going on; heaven above knows, they could just be right!

I do know that Win 7 boxes are a total PITA to set up to make them 'talk' to XP boxes.....but I don't think this has any bearing on your problem. It's been so long since since I used a modem that I've honestly forgotten the tricks I had to employ, in order to make them function properly.

And as for the eyes glazing over, and thinking 'Ooh, my brain is starting to hurt..!', I think it's a common symptom of using Windows! For me, at least, I enjoy using Linux, and take great pleasure in 'messing about' with things to make them do what I want them to.....and it's worthwhile, because everything is solvable in Linux, sooner or later.

Anyway, back on track:-

You sound as though you have something very similar to my own setup. I also have what's called an 'Internet Gateway', but mine, too, is permanently disconnected. My internet connection also takes place via the 'Local Connection' (to put it in terms that you'll understand). I believe the 'Gateway' to be used if you use one machine in a network to access the internet, and then the other machines in that network, in their turn, access the 'net via that 'gateway' box. It's not a common way of doing things for your average home user, however; I think it's for large numbers of machines, perhaps in a commercial or office environment, for instance, where the system administrator needs to able to closely monitor network traffic.

So I don't think that's got anything to do with the problem.

I think it all boils down to your modem (router?) settings. Which I'm not an 'expert' with! Like most folks, I tend to use the default settings, unless I need to alter something for network 'sharing'.....and that's rare.

Sorry I can't help any further. Windows is not my day-to-day OS, but your post just happened to catch my eye. I sincerely apologise if you feel I'm wasting your time.....and to the staff, too.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users