Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Pixelated Date/time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Volatile

Volatile

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

Alright, here's my problem. For some odd reason, my date and time properties (reached by double clicking the clock in the task bar) looks like this:

Posted Image

It's not only the date and time that does this, but a few other things as well (the help file documents for Adobe Photoshop, for example.) Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Volatile

Volatile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

I'm sorry if I'm being pushy, but does anybody have any information at all? There's no hurry, but this is kinda annoying to say the least. :\

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:48 PM

Have you tried reverting to the XP taskbar appearance?
In addition to the Adobe help file, what other files incorrectly use what appears to be fixed system fonts?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Volatile

Volatile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

I just tried reverting my windows theme to the default XP style and windows classic style, and it had no effect.

This type of font has only appeared in the two areas I've already mentioned and a few other miscellaneous places. For example, when I recently installed and played a game (Farcry) it had a graphics settings configuration tool that opened that had the same problem.

One very important detail is that I did delete a whole ton of fonts earlier, but they were not in the fonts folder. I did a system restore and it had no effect. I don't see why this would cause the problem, but maybe I'll revert back even farther and see if the problem is solved then. But I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks again.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

System restore will not restore fonts. You may have, by accident, deleted the font used for the Adobe and for the time/date display, but this is only a guess.

A list of Windows XP "system" fonts can be found here, should you wish to verify they are still installed on your hard drive:

http://www.kayskreations.net/fonts/fonttb.html

See also this article:

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/fonts.htm

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 August 2006 - 11:35 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

Try changing some of the settings in "Effects" in the "Appearance" tab of the "Display" section accessed in the control panel.

If it is set for clear type change it to standard or vice versa.

Make sure your resolution is set for your monitor's native resolution.

#7 Volatile

Volatile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

I'm sorry I've been gone for a bit; I've been a bit busy.

I've tried everything suggested and nothing's worked. :\

Are there any other pieces of advice anybody can give me?

#8 Volatile

Volatile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:48 AM

The task manager is acting up as well:

Posted Image

I was wondering if there's anything anybody can think of? I'm getting a bit desperate at the moment. :|

Thanks a million.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:51 AM

Reinstalling your operating system.

First - are you sure you have not set your screen resolution to one your monitor is not capable of doing?

Try setting it to the native resolution of your monitor.

If that does not work - if you have installed anything just before the problem began - uninstall it.

If all the above produce no results the only fix may be trying a repair install of Windows if you have that capability either with the Windows CD or Manufacturer's Restore CD or Restore Partition on your hard drive, depending what your computer came with, or in the absence of that capability, formatting and installing Windows again.

Backup all your data.

What model and make is the computer and what is your monitor?

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 August 2006 - 06:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users