Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few boot issues with 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 winmix

winmix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:36 PM

Hey,

So, I'm going to do the best I can to explain this, but it's a little tough to make sense of.

Twoish weeks ago, I was having issues at boot. My laptop would not boot from sleep or from restart randomly until it stopped booting altogether. It started going through startup to the windows logo, the spinning thing, and then all lights would stop except the backlight was on a little on a black screen. Nothing would make the machine do anything. So, the only way to get away was to hold power for 5+ seconds, then I would restart it, same thing. So, I hammered F8 to try to boot in safemode, but I don't think I was ever able to get that to work. It would go to the options screen, but safemode would not boot. It wouldn't go to a previous savepoint either. Startup repair from that screen was of no help. Ultimately, I made the absurdly stupid decision of doing a system refresh without fully realizing what that meant.

Cue having to rebuild half my computer and say goodbye to half my files. 

Anyway, after the refresh, pretty much immediately, more weird things began happening. Most times upon waking from sleep or restarting, two-finger-scroll on my touchpad will not work immediately and then additionally, usually within a few minutes of waking/restarting, the command prompt box pops up, sometimes it goes away quickly but sometimes it blinks for a while. Eventually, it writes some prompt itself and disappears way more quickly than I can read it. Then, I pretty much run normally until I sleep/restart. So far, running AVG, MalwareBytes, and CCleaner have yielded what they did and the problem persists.

Today, the system installed updates and freaked out and the black screen boot happened again. It would not allow me to boot into safe mode. This persisted for about 13 hard resets until, for no reason that I can tell, the system decided to start up, finish installing the updates, and allow me to log on and write this. Once started, the command prompt box thing happened, but I had no reason to scroll immediately so I don't know about that issue. 

My touchpad drivers are up to date as of the refresh.

Any assistance deciphering these oddities is highly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:56 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users