Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM/Memory Issues with games

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

I have a problem with my pc right now and I am not sure what is causing it

My PC's specs(So no need to ask me about it)

• Windows 10 Home
  • 12GB RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 970m
  • 128GB SSD
  • 1TB HDD
  • I7-6700HQ @2.60GHz

The problem is that when I play any Steam Games, specifically CS:GO and Fallout 4, my Memory Usage in the Task Manager goes all the way up, essentially freezing the game. But when I play Battlefield 4 or Arma 2, no problem occurs. What bugs me was that it never happened before I started playing Fallout 4. I uninstalled Fallout 4 but the problem still keeps going.

I literally can't play for more than 5 minutes before my PC's memory(CS:GO and Fallout 4) starts to go all the way up and freeze the game. Any solutions to this problem?

Edited by Andre_Castillo14, 20 August 2016 - 11:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Personally I had the same problem, certain games I played ram use was pretty nominal, but on other games it spiked to the top. So after getting my first BSOD on this new laptop {one year old} I looked up a ram optimiser called RAMRush, what this does is free up ram and boost system performance. Iuse it, its adware free and malware free and spyware free and free to begin with actually now that I think on it.

I use it every few hours or so; like you on certain games it runs smoothly; but on others it spikes and freezes the laptop. But with RAMRush I have it set to free ram up when it gets to 12% free ram. On average the program frees up to half my total ram from background proccesses not needed and thus boost my laptop performance in games like SWTOR and Skyrim and also Sims3.

Other games like Warhammer 40K Soulstorm and the classics like Rollercoaster Tycoon run so smoothly with barely apercent in ram even used to run them

Good luck!

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

RAMRush sounds like snake oil. If it does do what it claims, then it actually interferes with Windows's superfetch function, getting in the way of proper memory management. Not only that, normally Windows RAM allocation is randomized. With RAMRush it puts all the data next to each other making it easy for malware to affect it.

#4 Andre_Castillo14

Andre_Castillo14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:22 AM

RAMRush sounds like snake oil. If it does do what it claims, then it actually interferes with Windows's superfetch function, getting in the way of proper memory management. Not only that, normally Windows RAM allocation is randomized. With RAMRush it puts all the data next to each other making it easy for malware to affect it.

Even if RAMRush actually lets me free up my RAM, it wouldn't still solve the problem. Since it's the program that uses up all my RAM.

Last night, I want to play CS:GO to test out if I managed to the problem by reinstalling the game and updating every driver. It was still occuring, since the program's (csgo.exe) Memory usage was going to 96%.

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

There are a number of things that can consume all of your RAM depending on the conditions. There have been reports of issues with Steam/Steam games and Windows 10.

Try this first:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Perform the clean boot in the link, then try Steam and CS:GO to see if the problem persists. Then try Fallout 4. If the issue does not occur during the clean boot, restart with a normal boot and test the games again.

#6 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

I havent had any problems with it myself, it frees up ram perfectly for me every time it kicks in. the windows Superfetch fuction is screwed over on my rig I think, unless I can it completely off, too much stuff is getting ram it doesnt need {IE {even though I never touch it}, other proccesses and services I dont use or need running}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users