Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 update and now standalone updater continously checking...FML

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 10:44 PM

Did a install not an upgrade of Win7Ult over Win7 and now this. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary to cause this. So I don't think I need to start screwing with the registry or anything like that. Win update trouble shooter said all was well and no issues were present; A couple resetting windows update data store...don't know what that means, but i see this amongst other things all the time I run the Windows Update Trouble shooter. If you've used this app you'll know what I mean. Is it a matter of just waiting a day or two?? Thank you On a side note many of the OEM drivers were already there and not erased when I installed the Win7Ult. I was asked if I wanted to overwrite them. What was strange is that they weren't active until I reinstalled them....strange.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:13 AM

Hi allstock :)

This is a known issue on fresh installs of Windows 7. If you don't have the SP1 already, install it. If not, install the latest servicing stack below, and then install the Convenience Rollup update (can be downloaded from the Windows Update Catalog website). That should do the trick.

Servicing Stack: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369
Convenience Rollup: https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:40 AM

Wait...I'm confused. So I should install SP1 AND the latest service stack and Rollup? Or just the SP1. I don't have SP1 currently if that helps. Thank you Aura.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:04 AM

- So you did a fresh install of Win 7 ? Did that install include SP 1 ?

- This a problem LOT of computer users have. Try these instructions:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#5 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:21 AM

Um...which SP1 do I download. There's like twelve of them or so. I understand that I want 64bit, but that's all I know.

And what is up with the Microsoft Community forums? Every answer has to come in cryptic computer lingo trying to impress that the average user or at lest I can't understand... Why can't they just answer the question. Frustrating Grrr.

I just ended up picking this one: windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

Hope this works

I should note that the update agent did download during the win7ult install. Whatever that is.

Edited by allstock, 21 August 2016 - 05:56 AM.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:27 AM

- Right. For the Win 7 user the troubles starts when the user has installed that Update Agent. One only has to choose between a 32 bit & 64 bit SP 1. These are the same for the different Win 7 versions (Home, Professional, Ultimate, .............. ).

#7 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:37 AM

- Right. For the Win 7 user the troubles starts when the user has installed that Update Agent. One only has to choose between a 32 bit & 64 bit SP 1. These are the same for the different Win 7 versions (Home, Professional, Ultimate, .............. ).

Which are you talking about?

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

- First we need to determine what kind of Win 7 you've got. Run SPECCY. Select "File", "Publish Snapshot" and post the weblink that pops up in your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users