Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Issues w/ Two Computers On Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HunterMNetwork

HunterMNetwork

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

Hello everyone.

For the past few months, I've been having extensive trouble with two computers on my home network. These two computers have consistently been disconnecting from the network. Even after recently replacing the network card in one of them, they still both have heavy lag, are very slow, and constantly disconnect. Both computers are entirely up to date on Windows updates and driver updates for the network cards (and the other drivers). We have tried reinstalling the drivers (to factory default) and using them with those drivers, tried the latest drivers for both, changed the router channel, updated/downgraded router firmware, reset the router,computers, and disabled/enabled network cards. The problem only persists with these two computers. The router is meant for heavy usage, and no other computers disconnect/lag.

Important Info:

• Both computers are Dell XPS 8500's. One has the stock Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b|g|n network card. The other has a brand new Rosewill Qualcomm Atheros AR938X [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166117] wireless network adapter. (I have tried moving the card to different PCI slots to no effect.
  • Both computers run Windows 10 Home
  • Both computers are wireless, connected to our 2.4ghz home network. Wired connection isn't possible at the moment.
  • Both computers sit on the second floor of the house, less than 30ft (or 9 meters) from the router/modem (also on the second floor).
  • Both computers regularly "drop" together. When one disconnects, the other lags and the disconnects.
  • The ISP is XFINITY (Comcast)
  • The router is a Linksys EA7500 Max-Stream AC1900 [http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA7500/]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Since they drop together I'd suspect the router more than the computers.

Do you have any other computers connected wirelessly?  If so, are they having issues?

How strong is the wireless signal when it is working?  Distance isn't as important as what's in between.

Do you have an Android device?  If so get Wi-Fi Analyzer this will allow you to see if there are other Wi-Fi networks that may be causing interference and you may be able to change the channel that the router is using to a channel that doesn't have as much traffic.

#3 HunterMNetwork

HunterMNetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yes, there are 3 other computers connected wirelessly. Only one of the other three has problems (occasionally).

When the signal works, it is pretty strong. I live in Mississippi, so I ping Atlanta,GA and Dallas,TX with <60 ping and 20-30mbps download/upload. I will download WiFi analyzer tonight and try it. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users