Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor has a weird line

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 s3nr1

s3nr1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:35 PM

Hi, 

So I got this old laptop (i5 3rd gen) second hand. Physically there's no scratch on the screen but when turned on there is a black line line deep inside, somewhere top middle. When viewed from the sides, part of the line glows. Hard to show in pics so I made a video.

Video: View My Video

Is this the kind of screen defect that grows? I had a laptop before that suddenly developed a single line and more showed up and they grew to cover a good portion of the screen. 

It was cheap but if it'll be a hassle (the line grows and I have to replace the screen) I rather return it. 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

Return for a refund, there is no good thing that will come out of this.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 s3nr1

s3nr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

The answer I expected but not what I hoped. Have you seen something like this before? The laptop I mentioned that developed lines didn't glow from the side like this. Is it a piece of hair or something that is blocking the back light or something? From eyeballing its too fine but maybe the light is softening it.  

I need it for school in two weeks, it's a laptop from dellrefurbished.ca, never thought a computer manufacturer company would send these out. Sending it back will require me to pay for shipment and I would likely get charged a hefty restocking fee. 

I couldn't find a good deal on a laptop, my old one is dying (turns off randomly, I have a thread on that here), so had to go with the Dell for now.

Edited by s3nr1, 20 August 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

Oh, ok!  I didn't realize how you purchased the laptop.  I'll go into listen mode and learn alongside with you!  Let's await the others.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Since this is a refurbished laptop, what warranty do you have on it - 90 days ?

That's a good video, it shows it very clearly. It probably is something behind the screen, but against the chance that it isn't have you tried cleaning the screen ?  I use optical wipes. Since I live in a different country brand names are probably of no use but these are pieces of tissue paper soaked in iso-propyl alchohol and individually packaged. I get them in boxes of 26 from a local supermarket. Rub lightly over the affected area.

I am a little more optimistic than Roland. If it was a horizontal flaw I might expect it to spread with time, but this is much nearer vertical so I think the chances of it spreading are much lower. To add to that, it is a relatively small flaw and in a part of the screen where normally there is very little data. If it isn't some sort of dirt or mark on the top surface then almost certainly foreign object damage of some sort, as you say something like a hair.

Also, you are between a rock and a hard place - you need it in two weeks time. I suspect if you were going to return it it might well take more than two weeks to get a replacement back, which is why i asked about warranty. If it is 90 days, then I would leave it to about day 75 which at least would allow you to get the school session under way and you might have your other laptop fixed by then.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 s3nr1

s3nr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:45 AM

The warranty is 100 days, return within 30 days. http://dellrefurbished.ca/en_CA/page/FAQ/FAQ?t=Frequently+Asked+Questions#warranty

I'm sure the damage is inside, I can see some depth between the topmost layer of the screen and where the line is resting. 

I guess my main concern is the spread over time. I understand that screens fail over time. Except for my old Laptop, screen 6+ years still going strong and I used it a lot for gaming, etc.

If it's dead pixels, will having this cause the failure faster, those dead pixel will grow/spread etc.? Sort of like a healthy body suddenly getting a virus and it's downhill from there. :P

If it's something physical, as long as I don't press on it, abuse the laptop, it won't get bigger?

Also if you guys don't mind another question according to HDTunePro the included HDD is in warning stage but Dell's own assistant(has a test suite) program says it's okay. 

1z15gxz.jpg

I did not expect a brand new laptop but my own laptop was a cheaper Acer i5 1st gen (with a, at the time, powerful dedicated GPU) and that lasted me over 6 years, only had to replace the HDD two times, not until recently it started to turn itself off randomly.

This refurb one is a 3rd gen and from the reviews it was an expensive and sturdy professional laptop, and I got it straight from a Dell refurb subsidiary. It's disappointing.

Edited by s3nr1, 22 August 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:16 PM

Have you at least called the place you bought it from? It is possible that they might do an exchange (as opposed to a return) and might be able to do it in a timely fashion. You will never know until you call and ask what the options are.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Whether you keep this laptop or exchange it for another laptop -- please make full image backups of your OS partition and your Data partition real soon onto any available and trusted external media.  Keep this set of backups.  Next week, do another set. The following week do another set.  Not deleting the original set, delete only the 2nd set you made if you need room on your external media.

Edited by RolandJS, 22 August 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

Physically there's no scratch on the screen but when turned on there is a black line line deep inside, somewhere top middle. When viewed from the sides, part of the line glows.

By appearance and from my experience of LCD monitor repair, I suspect it is a crack in the outer polarizer film, which is why you get the glow of light leaking when you view it from the side. From its shape and position I think at some time it has had pressure applied, possibly from someone gripping the lid hard on opening, and a thumbnail pushing against the screen. The outer protective layer is resilient and may show no mark but the polarizer is more brittle and can crack, especially if it was cold. If that proves to be what it is, I don't expect it would get worse unless it gets squeezed again.

The drive error is of concern, it means there has been 4 occasions where the drive's internal diagnostic and repair system has had to remap bad sectors to the reserve maintenance stock of spare sectors. The zero Pending Sector count indicates there are currently no faulty sectors awaiting remap, which is why the drive passes the Dell diagnostic. If neither parameter changes with time, that would indicate the drive has stabilized, but you don't have a lot of time to observe it, and if it degrades quickly the drive could have a short life. I agree with other suggestions, since it has two issues, see if you can negotiate a replacement.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/9132

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 s3nr1

s3nr1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Have you at least called the place you bought it from? It is possible that they might do an exchange (as opposed to a return) and might be able to do it in a timely fashion. You will never know until you call and ask what the options are.

Yes, I'm in the process of returning it. At first they offered me CAD$60 to replace the screen. But that was too much hassle. I have also bought another refurb to replace it, the last one was "Grade B" this one is "Grade A". I understand that those grades only applies to the costmetic condition, the innards might be worst but hopefully since there will be, hopefully, less drop marks that means it's in a better condition. It cost about CAD$70 more for the same laptop with higher resolution (1366->1600).

Whether you keep this laptop or exchange it for another laptop -- please make full image backups of your OS partition and your Data partition real soon onto any available and trusted external media.  Keep this set of backups.  Next week, do another set. The following week do another set.  Not deleting the original set, delete only the 2nd set you made if you need room on your external media.

That's a good idea but I haven't had the laptop for very long, a week maybe and that scratch on the screen along with the HDD bothered me a lot so didn't get to use it much. I'll just reset it and pack it.

Physically there's no scratch on the screen but when turned on there is a black line line deep inside, somewhere top middle. When viewed from the sides, part of the line glows.

By appearance and from my experience of LCD monitor repair, I suspect it is a crack in the outer polarizer film, which is why you get the glow of light leaking when you view it from the side. From its shape and position I think at some time it has had pressure applied, possibly from someone gripping the lid hard on opening, and a thumbnail pushing against the screen. The outer protective layer is resilient and may show no mark but the polarizer is more brittle and can crack, especially if it was cold. If that proves to be what it is, I don't expect it would get worse unless it gets squeezed again.

The drive error is of concern, it means there has been 4 occasions where the drive's internal diagnostic and repair system has had to remap bad sectors to the reserve maintenance stock of spare sectors. The zero Pending Sector count indicates there are currently no faulty sectors awaiting remap, which is why the drive passes the Dell diagnostic. If neither parameter changes with time, that would indicate the drive has stabilized, but you don't have a lot of time to observe it, and if it degrades quickly the drive could have a short life. I agree with other suggestions, since it has two issues, see if you can negotiate a replacement.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/9132

Wow, thanks for this info. I forwarded this info to their CS and they agreed to not charge me restocking fee and return shipping (giving me a purolator return label).

Many thanks, everyone. Here's hoping the exchange laptop is more...stable, even for a refurb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users