Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Alert

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

My OS Win 7x64 Sp-1 IE11. Whenever I visit a Yahoo site or Yahoo mail I get a Security Alert pop-up which states:" The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site." I've searched for a solution but have found none thus far.

The article here describes this scenario perfectly but offers no solution.

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Errors/security-alert-bad-certificate-from-btrll-com/td-p/41638

I've tried some recommendations offered such as : Computer clock set correctly......it is correct.

Uninstall "Sight.sound"........don't have.

Skype chat causes this problem................not installed.

Uninstall Dell chat..................never installed.

I have ran malware scans with negative results.

Can anyone offer a solution??

TIA for assistance.

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.
Moved from Gen Sec to Web Browsing, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

Have you already tried another browser or other browsers?  If so, what happened?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:04 AM

Thanks RolandJS for your inquiry. As stated in the link provided, the situation mirrors my problem exactly with no offered solution. Though the post is somewhat lengthy you should have noticed that this happens even with Chrome. I should amend my post to include FF as well.

Any other suggestions??

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

I need better reading glasses.  I'm wondering if a couple of the resets in MiniToolBox might be helpful.  Perhaps if we search BC's Downloads -- we might come up with other helpful tools and ideas.  I'm not sure if DDS utility will be useful, haven't used it yet.  BTW, there are some utilities such as RKill [!avoid ComboFix!] and others that should only be used under the guidance of experienced BC staff [I'm not one of them] -- because the utilities can be caustic.  Have you made your routine OS partition and Data partition full image backups yet?  If not, do so before engaging in any utilities found anywhere on The 'Net -- the exception being MiniToolBox,  DDS, Speccy, stuff that reports much more than writes or changes.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 August 2016 - 08:09 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

I'm inclined to think that is not malware related as it affects only Yahoo sites as previously stated. I have not attempted to remove the *.btrll certificate due to not knowing the outcome. I guess I could look in Trusted and Untrusted Publishers for a possible solution.

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

After browsing many sites, there is a solution offered but I am not thrilled about it. The recommendation is: Go to Tools> Internet Options > Advanced > Scroll down to Security and un-check "check for publishers certificate revocation" and " check for server certificate revocation."

I am very security conscious and do not like the idea of having to lessen defenses.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks i

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:49 AM

With Yahoo being sold to Verizon. I can't help but wonder if it's not related to the demise of everything in Yahoo's portfolio such as all their certificates. Especially since you say this issue is primarily connected with Yahoo related sites.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

Is this just when signing into Yahoo, or does it effect any HTTPS Yahoo site? I only ask because I can get to https://www.yahoo.com/ without any problem on latest Chrome on Windows 7. DNS Name=www.yahoo.com

Spoiler

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

With Yahoo being sold to Verizon. I can't help but wonder if it's not related to the demise of everything in Yahoo's portfolio such as all their certificates. Especially since you say this issue is primarily connected with Yahoo related sites.

Yes, that would make sense. But surely, I'm not the only one experiencing this pop-up as there are others who have Yahoo email, etc. But no one else has chimed in.

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

This happens only when clicking on and viewing articles on Yahoo site and or Yahoo mail which are HTTPS.

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:52 PM

I tried multiple HTTPS Yahoo news pages and did not get an error. I tried on Chrome and MSIE 11. No problems at all with the Yahoo certificate. It wasn't until I stayed on a page (Uh oh Canada) that a error came up for a certificate for adforgeinc.com that it had expired. It expired 5/2016 from Godaddy which probably means it was given to a spammer then revoked. It seems to be for the ad on the top right of page.

I would NOT suggest allowing content from them to be displayed. Instead, block their ads all together with a script blocker. You can use IE's security zones to block specific script but it's clumsy and not self updating. Instead try a browser like Firefox or Chrome and the ad-on/extension "NoScript" or "AdBlock". I use AdBlock with Chrome and it worked so well it's why I didn't see the error. XD

Edited by Trikein, 22 August 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#12 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for the info and advice. May try your suggestions if no other solution is available.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

Re-posted in Am I Infected. Link to AII topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/624560/btrllcom-malware/

This topic is closed to avoid confusion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users