Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Computer Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shotbyadam

Shotbyadam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

I've got a custom-built beast of a computer that I'm looking to upgrade. Well, it was a beast about 6 years ago, now it's starting to lag a bit. A bit of history...I'm a professional photographer and I use the computer for about 80% work and 20% gaming. More than anything, I do a lot of work in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Sony Vegas Pro on a 64-bit Windows 10 machine. I've been noticing with the last few software updates that the computer is starting to get a little sluggish and I'm thinking it might be time for a new CPU/Motherboard.

Currently, I am running with an Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 12 mb of RAM, and for my GPU, a Nvidia GeForce 960 w/ 4gb of GPU memory.

My motherboard is only expandable to 16 gb, which would require me to swap out my existing chips for 4 gb ones, which might be a little bit of a boost, but my thoughts were to do a bit of an upgrade although I don't want to spend a bank full of cash to do so. Here are my questions though:

1. To make a somewhat significant boost in performance, which motherboard/CPU suggestions should I be looking at? I don't need state-of-the-art, but something significantly better that won't bankrupt me. :)

2. Should I decide to upgrade, will I need to completely re-install windows 10 and all existing software?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:07 AM

1. You will need to replace memory also. Something significantly better would mean at least 32GB DDR4+hexa core i7+LGA2011-3 motherboard that cost around $700.

2. Probably not necessary but Windows works better when reinstalled after major hardware change.

So I suggest that you overclock your CPU and wait for couple of months until AMD Zen is released. 8 core Zen motherboard should be at least $100 cheaper than current LGA2011-3 motherboards. CPU price is unknown but competition usually means lower prices. I plan to upgrade with 8 core Zen when available unless price is way too high.

#3 Shotbyadam

Shotbyadam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

Speding over 1K for all this is a bit outside my budget though. I don't need the best, just something that's going to be good for me for a few years.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:29 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7pz2VY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7pz2VY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $592.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-21 22:28 EDT-0400
Your copy of windows is bound to your motherboard. It is non transferable.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

Speding over 1K for all this is a bit outside my budget though. I don't need the best, just something that's going to be good for me for a few years.

Then I suggest to overclock CPU and use it as long as it works. During that time save some money for bigger upgrade.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7pz2VY
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/7pz2VY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($127.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $592.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-21 22:28 EDT-0400
Your copy of windows is bound to your motherboard. It is non transferable.

While that looks good, problem is that upgrading from quad core to another quad core is not "significantly better" IMO. If overclocking 920 to 3.2 GHz, then that kind of upgrade is very small. At same clock speed difference between those CPU's is around 35%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users