Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a specific genre of software, but don't know what it is called.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 charger1369

charger1369

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

Hello, new here, and I don't quite know if this is the appropriate place to ask this question, but I did a quick search and didn't find any topics about my question. I am running a collaboration website, for people who have certain skills, and want to trade the use of those skills to others for the use of their skills in return, to accomplish something that they weren't able to alone. To that effect, I am looking for collaborative software that allows users to work together to accomplish a common goal, or add their input in an organic way. I am already using a sort of hub software called Cyn.in, I just need application specific software. Say, and this is just a rough example but one I am hoping will illustrate my point, I wanted to find a piece of software where users could edit a word processor document at the same time. Not considering all the trouble getting people to work in a group is, and all the chaos that might ensue without proper rules and etiquette, what "Type" or "Genre" of software would I be looking for. I can do all the research myself to find the individual software, but I just need to know which corner of the world to look in first. By what name might I search for this kind of software. Everything always seems to point to some kind of centralized, all-in-one solution (that doesn't ever have all of it in one, or else I wouldn't be here) like what I'm already using (Cyn.in). I need something along the lines of this proposed Drupal module in this link (sorry if posting links is not allowed, but this proposal really explains my needs, within the context of music composition) https://groups.drupal.org/node/20920 . I'm just wondering if this specific type of software has a name, so I can go on with my research. Any help will be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 charger1369

charger1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Or maybe even a program that can make currently installed programs available in that way. Sort of like a server for programs that are already installed, making them available for being operated by multiple remote connections. 

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

It sounds like you want a version control tool, though most such tools are designed to work with plain text (not binary files like Word documents or sound files.) For example, the edit history on Wikipedia pages is generated by a version control tool.

#4 charger1369

charger1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

I'm not looking for something for collaborative document editing specifically. I am looking for a genre of software that is focused around the ability to collaboratively operate an otherwise "single-user" program, like say gimp, or programs like that are built to be operated collaboratively from the beginning. 

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:01 PM

Perhaps you're looking for something called collaboration software.

The following link contains links and brief descriptions of a variety of these kinds of programs:

http://www.capterra.com/collaboration-software/

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 charger1369

charger1369
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

Nah "collaboration software" is always all in one solutions that all have the same things. I've been sifting through those things for like a year now.

Edited by charger1369, 20 August 2016 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users